1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Guaranteed Snow from Dec. 10th thru Dec. 17th

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camden, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Start preparing for the blizzard that is going to hit on December 10th and will continue through December 17th.

Those are the dates that I have JURY DUTY and you just know that it's going to snow like crazy that whole week. :realmad:

The letter I received said that it's mandatory that I show up or else I'll be charged with some sort of crime. I don't want to skip out on my civic duty but I plan on writing a letter that explains my situation and that I'll gladly make up the time in June, July or August.

Think I can get out of it??`

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I do it all the time to get out.Just need to tell them your self employed and your on 24 hr call. Then in the summer you tell you can't take time off because your to busy.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

dose that work??

4. snowpoe

snowpoe Member

Yes It works I got out of it buy telling them that I am self employed & a solo operator & that I can not take any time off or I would loose all my customers.
    Which is the truth :nod:

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I tell them that I'm a farmer and they let me go home right away.

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Great to hear!

Did you have to prove your self employment status? I thought about sending the court a copy of some of the contracts I've got just to show that I'm not making it up. That should satisfy them I would think.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

won't work.
    Jury Duty is your civic responsibility, having a job does nothing to get you out of it.
    They might let you out if it's snowing. Just come in your snow gear, with the storm beard and all stinky after being up all night, they might let you go then. :salute:
    Now, here anyway, you get called and if they don't need you, you get to go home after the first day and that's it, responsibility done.

8. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Self employed does not matter. When they question you for duty, give them the answers they don't want to hear. IE believe in death penality.eye for an eye. You better start looking for subs, just in case.:gunsfiring:

9. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I gotten out of it for years and Im 45, my work will not pay me, they make me use my vacation $. the parking in the city is not reinbursed or lunches.
    My wife has done it twice but her work covers her at full pay so I think my family has done their duty.

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

it depends where you are becuase in nj i have been to jury duty and when they ask tyou if you can sit on a jury for a extended period of time all i had to say was i was self employed and my family counts on me working 7 days a week to make ends meet. yoi just have to hope the guy isnt a ball buster.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I usually write a letter telling why I can't do it.I also include my tax payer ID number ,so when they run it they'll know everything about you. Of course I say if my employment status changes I'd be happy to serve. So far it's worked 5 times . Now depending how high your number is you may take the chance it won't be called.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  12. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Worked for me last month. They just wanted a letter explaining my hardship, some tax papers, and wanted to know when I'd be available or had vacation planned. They said if you dont have time or vaca. just to state that.

13. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Just go in there. Point at somebody and scream "MURDERER!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That should get you out of it.

Peterbilt

14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Depends upon the county and state what kind of hard a-- you get. HOWEVER, think about who are on the juries...... If you run your own business I'm sure you can find a way to get out.... Start pointing fingers, mumble, snarl at the defense.....

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Well I am self employed and I served last summer. Playing the racest, or death penalty card will just seal the deal that you get to spend the week there. In IL you get points for serving on a jury. Serve the first day your on Backup for the rest of the week. You just call in twice a day then. I missed 2 1/2 days. I was on a jury for 1 1/2 days, and was done then. I was happy I did it. Felt good to vindicate a lady who was down on her luck and the DA wanted her put away......
    She got a FAIR trial, I was proud to be part of that.

16. DJMAUCTION

DJMAUCTION Member

I can say in NY, you call in on your "call in day" and they say the numbers needed for duty, if your number is not called your golden, if it is, you can 1.go or 2. explain that your an Investigator working a current case for a NY agency. that was the only way I got out of it. (but you really have to be PI working for a NYS agency.) You could also move to another county, did that and forgot I put one "jury duty" on hold till the summer, moved and was like hmm wonder if I still have to do that time and the old county said no. so there are some ways. but maybe you will bless us with snow. and every member should send you a buck, while your doing jury duty. you might break even or ahead hahaah....

you also could call in and make remarks about your health and hearing and scream alot and pretend you forgot english....

17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I was called about 13 years ago. I tried the "self employed" card, but it didn't work.

I sat around. It was a case where a person was calling harassment by a local cop.

When they asked if anyone remaining had any biases, I spoke up and said yes. Turns out this cop would follow me home late at night (midnight) when I was on the way home from my gf's at the time, even though I lived 10 miles outside of town.

I said I was sure that he was checking to make sure I wasn't drunk or so, but there were multiple times that he'd turn around while on I was on my past and follow.

That sent me home.

18. cod8825

cod8825 Member

It worked everytime but my wife came up for duty like a month after having our two sons and she said she was nursing. I have never been called out yet:D

19. jbone

jbone Senior Member

A friend of mine got called for jury duty here in NY. He was talking to one of the people there who said that they dont care who you are or what you think (i.e. - Racist, feminist, etc.) even if the case is against someone you have a prejudice against, they just want to get people in there.

20. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds noble. I did go in on my appointed date. Got picked to go to a court room where they then weeded down the jury group to the primary 12 (?) and several secondaries. It was a case about the gov taking someones land away - this was the payment stage. They told us the case was going to take 6-8 week!!!!! ( Just to determine how much money the owner should receive. Some of the jury were excited they got picked for a long case :dizzy: I was able to get out )