1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GRRRR Now a new problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 1982atm, Jan 17, 2014.

1. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

So I bought this 1 owner 1995 3500 reg cab 4x4 105k miles it had been a Florida state owned highway work truck. It was in decent truck and seemed perfect for plowing. I used it all last winter then it sat threw the summer. Now this winter it had made it threw 4 snow storms when the tranny went out 107K miles now. I had the tranny rebuilt cost $1900 for my 4l80e with a new torque converter and all new internals, a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. So i get it back yesterday and got called out to do a small 4 hr route. I decided to use this truck instead of my f250 powerstroke daily driver. By the time i finished i barley made it home cause the rear end has now gone BAD GRRRRRRRRRRR:help::mechanic:

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks.

Its not used to working, it was state owned!

Haha.

3. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

lol^^^^^ your probably correct

4. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

you should have changed your front and rear diff fluid when you bought the truck. It would have taken you an hour and a half for both max and your rear end wouldnt have gone out with that few of miles

5. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

Do you know what rear axle? GM 10.5 or I think a dana 80. Was it making noise ? Binding?

6. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

no binding ... its just slipping on take off. its alot better when i take off in 4wd.. I dont know what rear end it has ..I'll have to check. srw 95 gmc 3500 4x4 reg cab with a 454

7. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

tranny fluid level oK?

8. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

the tranny is BRAND NEW

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Doesn't matter
    Stuff can happen.

Sounds like trans to me too. Rear ends don't usually slip like that. They usually just snap.

Its possible rear end is slipping, but start with the trans

10. sameoldthang

sameoldthang Member

That doesn't mean anything. Just check the basics and fluid levels, transfer case full? I assume the rear axle was ok before the tranny went. Its funny how all the sudden the rear axle is shot. 4L80e and both of those rear axles are pretty heavy duty.

11. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

I took it to my mechanic, a friend of mine and he changed a u joint and checked everything and determined it's the rear end.

12. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

When you take off in 2wd you hit the gas and it seems to bang in the rear then take off. Everything is good while driving but if you let off the gas coast then get back on the gas you feel play in the drive train

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Did you check the fluid?

Did you check the rear end fluid to see if it has shavings.

Is this the same mechanic that did the rear end. We would probably drive out with tout the driveshaft in on the lift

14. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

No I haven't personally checked the rear end fluid. But I checked the tranny fluid. Clean new and full

15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

That truck should have the 14 Bolt full floater, with regular fluid changes will last as long as the truck. I have one out of 76 K20 in the back of my 85 K20. Never touched the inside of it except fluid change.

Normally you can pick up one of these rear ends used for about $150.

16. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

So what is it I need to look for? Besides 14 bolt full floater

17. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

First you will need to know the gear ratio you have in the truck, then just find a 14 Bolt FF with the same matching gears, I'm guessing your truck should have 3.73's or 4.10's.

A rear end out of a 90's K2500 or 3500 SRW should be a direct bolt in. Pretty easy to do, but beware the 14 Bolt FF is heavy.

Scroll down to see a pic of a Full Floater, this is what you should have in the truck.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...sas-parts-suppliers-14bff-swap-info-pics.html

To bad you live a couple days away, I have one out of a 94 K2500 Suburban.

18. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

How do I figure out the gear ratio? Can you use the Vin to determine it ?

19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

By the way, beautiful eyes and smile,who's the squid on the right, brother?, friend? Hope you get it all sorted out .:waving: Need more women joining the plowing ranks!Thumbs Up

20. 1982atm

1982atm Senior Member
    from indy

Lmao.. I'm the squid. .. But my wife is the one looking good.