1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Growling Transfer Case

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Triple L, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Hay guy's, I'm in need of some advice for my 2006 silverado. Late this spring I started to notice a growling semi grinding noise when ever I drive really slow like backing up to the trailer. I jacked the rearend up than put it in gear and crawled under and found out that it's coming from the transfer case. It only makes this noise when the drivetrain is hot. Not the motor but everything else. Had the truck at the dealers 3 times and they said they called up GM and they said that the new trucks have clutch less transfer cases so that sometimes you will hear this gear noise. I think its a bunch of crap because the truck didn't do this in the winter. They changed the fluid in the transfer case also thinking that the fluid was too thin but it didn't do anything. Also it makes this noise in 2wd, 4hi but not in 4lo for some reason. Any suggestions or if you have noticed this on your new silverado would be great.

2. Triple L

from Canada

does anyone elses truck do this??

3. Triple L

from Canada

bump........

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Triple L Quote:

Why go so slow, I plow 7 commercial lots with my 4.3, never had a problem yet. She's got plenty of power. Not as much as my buddys F250 diesel but I push right beside him in snow 8" deep. Don't worry about it.

Tripple L Quote: "I see your explination now, My 06 has twin electric fans on it and a MONSTER 18,000 lbs tranny cooler that I installed on it infront of the rad. the electrics are nice, As soon at the temp gets to 105 they kick in and boom! 1 -2 minutes later it's back down to 90. There great. Never had a cooling issue at all, even in the summer blasting around town with the A/C on pulling a 8,000 lbs. trailer and givin it, the guage never moves. If your dosent have electric fans and your having heating issues I would strongly recommend them.

Here are two possable causes for your tranny noise.

bump:rolleyes:

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

when in doubt take it in warranty its free

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not if the problem is based on inadequate heat and you've modified the basic operation of the cooling system.

7. Triple L

from Canada

The noise is coming from the transfer case. I don't think that the transfer case oil is cooled with tranny fluid. I don't think it has anything to do with my coolers, it's not the tranny.

Any more replies would be great!!.