1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Growing season or plowing season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTPlow, Feb 12, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

If you had a choice, which season would you rather work, and which season would you like, for the most part, to sit on your ass?

Me personally, I'd like to make all I need to make during the winter months(fat chance), and have the option to do whatever I like during the growing season. Right now, I need to do both, my lawn care biz and snow plowing.

How do you guys/gals work it now and which way would you like to have it?

2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

We "maximize" our winter services so we dont have to as much in the summer / warm weather. Landscaping jobs and lawn stuff is great but the profit percentage is by far less than and it takes more of it to survive. My choice has always been to make as much as we can in the winter so I can play more in the summer.

3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'd rather play in the summer or warm months, however, that is the only time that you can depend on making money, big or small. There is a ton of money in snow, HOWEVER no snow equals no money. There is always sun and warm temp, and the grass grows for 8+ months which guarantees an income unlike snow. I couldn't afford to dump all of my landscaping customers in hopes of a big winter, and then end up with a winter like this year and last year. Then I'd have no money to play. When a person elects to get into this business, they have to be willing to accept not alot of play time(landscape/snowremoval) or take it whenever it is available. Every customer that I have in plowing except for a couple come from the landscaping/mowing side of the business. I'd just as soon not plow, too hard on the vehicles, but it comes with the job, plus the expenses for plowing are alot more than with landscape work. Ins, breakdowns, mtce, more gas, more expensive clothes and on and on.