1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Growing pains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtmandan2, Oct 12, 2008.

1. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

At what point do you decide to either 1. drop accounts that you don't care about. 2. Buy more trucks, which means even more **** to fix or 3. Hire subs.
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Hire good subs until it makes sense for the second truck. It is risky not having a full truck right away. It is also a choice. Do you want to grow, or keep it simple and controlled. Growing means a loss of control, and you have to rely on people greatly.
  3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Grow thru subs till you can afford to add equipment, as long as you can manage the service. But, IMO

Your newest vehicle is 13 years old and oldest was like 18 years - I'm sure that some people manage. Large companies with full time mechanics but say a smaller company, if you work on your own stuff - at what point does your time working on things and cost of parts become more than the cost of newer vehicles and less tax base??

In our experience, new is better due to the reduced if any interest paid. They start every nite. The trannies shift. And then there's that nice depreciation.

I'm in no way knocking you, in fact more power to you - it's just I work a zillion hours as it is, I couldn't afford the down time.
  4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

For me personally, I would rather hire a good employee to drive one of my trucks. I'd have a harder time trusting a sub, rather than my own guy. Unless I knew the person with a truck, then it would be different.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hire a dependable sub that you trust.
    Don't pass on accounts that you may want back someday.
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

depends on availability. you dont want to ever give up good accounts but if you cant find a sub to trust, then do it yourself. even if it means buying a $2,500.00 truck with an old plow for now.