1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

grounding lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by clark lawn, Feb 21, 2008.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

the other night when i was out my plow lights got dim like from a bad ground. well i ran a wire from the ground terminal on the relays to the neg. side of the battery now the plow lights work fine but the truck lights wont come on unless i unplug the relay. does anyone know how the lights are suposed to groung, is it just thriough the bracket or what????

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of truck?

Did the plow itself work fine?

Turns and markers work fine too?

3. clark lawn

from NE ohio

97 F350 dump with a unimount plow works fine turn and marker lightswork as far as i know. lights worked right untill i ran a ground wire to the battery but that was the only way i could get the plow lights to work right.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

grounds

kind of look's like the black wire with the orange strip is the headlight/turn signal ground that runs through the 9 pin plug .

5. clark lawn

from NE ohio

ya that wire comes off the relay and goes into the harness but were does it go from there? does it ground to the plow frame and then though the truck or does it splice into another wire and come back?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Blk/Org wire has several splices in it inside the harness but it basically gets its ground after it goes out to the plow through the grill connector. When you connect the grill connector it completes the ground path from the plow side to the relays through the Blk/Org wire, grounding the relays and turning on the plow head lights. Thats why the truck lights wouldn't come on with you jumper wire attached. You had the relays grounded all the time so it thinks that the plow is connected, thus keeping the plow lights on and the truck lights off.

Bottom line. check the pins in the grill connectors and Blk/Org wire on the plow side as it has a connection or two in it as well inside the harness on the plow side. May have a poor connection in the grill pin or at a splice in the harness on the plow site...they both love to corrode..

7. clark lawn

from NE ohio

:confused::confused:i know the blk/org wire is the ground what in trying to fined out is does it ground to the truck through the plow itself the 9 pin connector or the 2 pin connector?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like I said, it passes through the grill connector and grounds on the pump. Thats why it switches the lights when you connect the plow, it completes the ground, thus tripping the relays

9. clark lawn

from NE ohio

B&B thanks for the help the blk/org wire was broken at the pump. i had to fix in the dark in the middle of a snow storm so i just rigged it to get by.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to here you found the problem. These Unimounts aren't getting any younger.. I see more and more of them with issues as they age. Wiring mostly..

Isn't it strange how they're never a problem on a warm sunny July afternoon..only fail when you need them. Hate that :D