1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ground temps?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRL, Jan 11, 2001.

1. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

In the thread about air temp gauges Dino made the following valid point:
    "Of course air temp is really inmaterial, unless you know the ground temps as well."
    Anybody determining the ground temps & how are you doing it? I saw in a catalog once a pricy laser gadget that you could poke into the ground to get the soil temp. Is there an easy maybe cheaper way to get the asphalt temps?
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I just started using my lazer to check ground temps.i am not sure if the lazer is dead on accurate as far as degrees go,but im charting trmps and rates that i apply at pretreating,and if i can get enough info to know exactly how much i can put down and still keep the bond from forming,Ill be able to save money.I have had the lazer for a yr,since I am still a PT auto mechanic,i originally bought it for automotive use.it was about 100 bucks at Napa,if im at the garage later,ill get the brand and #'s off it.