1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ground protection mats

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by xtreem3d, Jun 4, 2015.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys,
    I'm tired of buying plywood for turf protection so I am looking at the rubber mats. They are extremely expensive. I came across these 4x6's which I could cut into 2 2x6 pieces which would work fine. Does anyone with experience using a turf may see why these might not work? They are also 3/4" thick instead of 1/2". OR does anyone know of a cheap place to buy the real turf mats?
    Ground Effects LLC
  2. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you will find that those floor mats are very flexible. If you laid them on mud, the machine you are driving would just push them into the mud, without giving you any support. I don't know any cheap place to buy them but some of the United Rentals branches rent them. .
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks...didn't think about that.
  4. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Stall mats won't cut it. They're far too soft and flexible.
  6. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

you might look into some made by a company Alturna mats we have them in a 4x8 mat they are a little pricey but we ran loaded triaxle dumps across them with no damage to he mats and minimal damage the yard during the spring thaw they make different sizes
  7. ShaneysLawnCare

ShaneysLawnCare Senior Member

We have 24 Alturna mats, they are not cheap at all. We are paying around $175 a mat when buying 24 at a time, but we will never go back to plywood!