1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ground Out?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dstosh, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Today I hooked up the plow wire harness to the truck wire harness, lights work and everything is good. I drive forward, the truck touches the plow, and it arcs. Blew the tail light / gauge light fuse (15 amp). The plow lights don't work, trucks headlights do, plow hydro's all also work. Put 20 amp fuse in, same result. I have all the grounds hooked to the neg battery terminal. Should i ground to the frame? or is it just a bad ground? It's a 7'6" Boss V on a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500. Thanks

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i would pull the plastic acess cover off and check your wiring. check the ground and main power feed for your plow, make sure no animals chewed through the insulation.
    also check every wire, it sounds like something is grounding out. you may have a problem with your lights as well.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  3. DELBERT

DELBERT Member

Did Ya Figure It Out Yet Mine Does The Same Thing On My Ford Every Thing Works Exept The Plow Lights The Runing Lights Work On The Plow Just Not The Main Head Lights I Cant Get Them To Work

4. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

We just went through the entire thing, we pulled it entirely apart painted it and cleaned it etc. I Will double check. Thanks for the info.

5. 04superduty

one thing to check is the solonoid under the hood of your truck. i am trying to think of what would cause this to happen. try unhooking your controller and pulling up to the plow with the plow harness conected to the trucks and see what happens.

6. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I will try that tomorrow, thanks

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

We sort of figured it out today, It turns out a broken wire we thought was a ground wasnt really a ground and that was the majority of the problem. Now the ony way the lights will work is if the little connectors that are supposed to be one way or another are the opposite of the way they should be. It isnt blowing fuses and the lights work, I'll take it for now. Thanks for your help.

8. 04superduty

glad you figured it out. :)