1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ground Clearance

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by samnegron, Jan 13, 2008.

1. samnegron

samnegron Junior Member
    from PA

Hello, I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, Western Plow - Ultra Mount, My ground clearance is horrible, I only have about 4 inches from the bottom of the plow receiver to the ground, is this normal. I can't even get in or out of my driveway without scraping pretty bad. I am new to plowing and this truck.... so any hints would be appreciated. Thanks

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I got fed up enough with the same problem on my 2004 I just traded the truck off a week ago! That wasn't the only problem but it was the final straw!

3. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

shoulda bought a ford :):cool:

4. BOMBER

BOMBER Member

Taller tires.;)

5. samnegron

samnegron Junior Member
    from PA

How depressing!

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

timbrens? lift kit?
    mine isn't even as low as yours or some of the hd's i've seen and i have a half ton.......
    odd.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Don't let some of the guys on here tell you, you bought the worng truck. I run a 04 gmc sierra 2500 hd with a boss 8'2'' vee on it. No problems. Just add about 600 + pounds to the bed of the truck and get some timberns and you'll be set.

8. samnegron

samnegron Junior Member
    from PA

Thanks

Thanks, great advice.....

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

That plow also has a lot of adjustments with the frame. You have to take basically the whole thing apart to change it but you can. If you take a pic of the part that scrapes we can tell you if you can adjust it farther. The plow that goes on my 01 2500HD was originally on a ford. It was set up for that height vehicle. When I put it on I had about 4" I adjusted the frame and then had 6" I added 285's and timbrens and now have about 8".

10. JeffB

JeffB Junior Member

I agree with shovelracer on the adjustments. When I first purchased my ultra mount the ground clearance was terrible, only about 2". The dealer told me it was fine, just be careful over railroad tracks. I didn't believe it, so I downloaded the installers guide from Western's website and found that it was installed incorrectly for my truck. You would hope a dealer could follow directions :dizzy: Instead of letting them mess something else up, I rebuilt it following the manuals height guide and gained multiple inches. I can now enter/exit my driveway without destroying the concrete or the plow frame.