1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ground clearance on 2500hd western plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEXTDAYSIGNS, Oct 26, 2003.

1. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

:confused: :confused: WELL HELLO! I HAVE BEEN READING THE SITE FOR ABOUT A YEAR. LAST YEAR I GOT MY 1ST PLOW 7 1/2 WESTERN PRO POLY ON A 99 GMC 1/2 TON. WELL THAT LASTED A YEAR JUST GOT 03 2500HD EXT SHOTBED 6.0. JUST HAD THE NEW MOUNT PUT ON THE TRUCK. I CAME HOME HOOKED UP. THE CLEARENCE IS LOWER THEN THE 1/2 TON IS THAT RIGHT?? I ONLY HAVE ABOUT 5 INCHES FROM A FRAMW TO GOUND??? CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THEY HAVE.. BE FOR I GO BACK TO THE DEALER.. I KNOW CHEVYS ARE LOW BUT 2500HD LOWER THEN 1/2??

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do a search, turn the torsion bars up 2-4 turns and ad timbrens.
    Even tho the truck may have a plow prep package, the suspension comes from the factory for overall driving, not for carrying a plow. Those two adjustments will help aot.
    Dino

3. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

PLOWKING35 THANKS FOR INFO THE DEALER SAID HE TURNED UP THE BARS. AND AS FAR AS TIMBRENS THE STOCK STOPS ARE NOT EVEN BEING TOUCHED. MAY IT BE ON THE WRONG SETTING? I HAD TO DROP THE PINS ON THE FEET TO THE LOWEST HOLE

4. plowking35

from SE CT

you have the ultramount or unimount

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Welcome to PlowSite! :waving: Please stop typing in caps lock. :D The stock rubber bump stops probably arent being touched because the torsion bars have been cranked up. You should still get the Timbrens, and they will go in place of the stock stops. There is a guy on here who just recently put up a whole bunch of pictures of his 2500HD with same plow as you, and his looks great, he has the Timbrens. What do you mean the 1/2 ton only lasted one year?? Mike

6. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

I HAVE THE ULTRAMOUNT . ILOVED IT LAST YEAR WOULD HAVE KEPT THE TRUCK BUT NEEDED 2,000 IN WRK. I GET A DISCOUNT AT MY REAL JOB ON GM . WIFE GOT SUBURBAN I GOT HD

7. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

SORRY ABOUT CAPS! where are the pics of the 2500hd?? The 1/2 was used when i got it always had some problems plowing did it in.

8. plowking35

from SE CT

The ultra mounts hang low on the truck as a matter of course. Check the bars make sure they have been turned up. Next check your manual and make sure that the mount is as high as possible.
    Dino

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

A couple of forums down, look for the PICTURES FORUM, click on it. Inside you will see a thread by SBRENNAN007 titled 03 2500HD. Click on that thread and inside are the pics of his beauty. He has the UltraMount too. Go check it out! Mike :drinkup:

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

the Ultra Mount mount height can not be change, the settings on the blade may need to be change from an #2 to a #1 to make up for the 2500 setting lower tha the 1500. The pivot plates (they are at the outside end of the pivot bar) should be set with the flat side down and the pins (they go through the pivot plate and into the pivot bar) in the second hole.

11. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Timbrens installed. This pic is of the Timbrens with the plow up and a load on them

front timbrens.jpg

12. sbrennan007

This was B4 the Timbrens...

b4timbrens1.jpg

13. sbrennan007

And after the Timbrens were installed. I also have about 6 turns on the Torsion bars. After making adjustments on the Torsion bars, be sure to take it in for an alingment.

timbrens2.jpg

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

the roller skate wheels that come from the factory probably dont help much either. I ditched the 245's for 265's with 500miles. No clearance problems.....I might look into 255's next time.