1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ground clearance 8100PP w/09 2500HD Silverado

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by turbo38sfi, Nov 27, 2009.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Just got my 8100PP installed on my 2500HD. It drops the front end pretty good, I was a little bit surprised!

Just pulling in my driveway with the plow raised and going over a speedbump, the powerhitch is bottoming out. It's pouring so I didn't get under the truck, but there can't be more than 2" of ground clearance there.

So, looks like I'm in need of Timbrens in the front or to raise the torsion bars. What are you all doing to compensate for the weight?

2. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

You should run your ballast in the back and then see where you are at. If still bad I would get the T bars turned up. If that does not do it then look into the timbrens. My bodies 09 already has a yellow bushing much like a timbren and in the same location. I don't know if they are the same or if the timbren is stiffer.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I suggest the Timberens. T bars as a back up.

4. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I normally run a sander in the back so that will be plenty of ballast. Will look into timbrens also.

5. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

Why spend any money if you dont have to, crank the Torison Bars!! They are made to be adjustable for varying loads. With an 810pp, your going to want to crank them up all the way, plus add weight in the bed.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Because cranking the t bars will set the truck to high when the plow is lowered and wear out you wing edges even quicker. Added to the fact all cranking them will do is give it further to drop. If you have a 6.0 upgrade the t bars.

7. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I have the 6.0. What do you mean upgrade? Get different torsion bars altogether? From what, a diesel motored truck?

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are bottoming out your truck that easy then it is too low to begin with. I would turn up the torsion bars and add Timbrens. I have an 09 GMC with an 810 and that is what I did with mine and it is much better. Money well spent on the Timbrens and they are only $200

9. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

The 8100 mount is a bit lower than the 810 mount from what I have read. Without the plow the truck is at a decent height, no sag. I'm surprised that the front drops SO much though...

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know about the mount height.
    I would turn up the torsion bars and install Timbrens. They are easy to do and cheap IMO.

Have you checked your front tire pressure? I would also make sure they are close to max.

It is a heavy plow and I would imagine you are over your FAWR.

I only put my plow on when it is time to plow and take it off after.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Any other good advice.:rolleyes: Do what CET said Timbrens and crank the bars a little and you will be fine. Worst comes to worst you might have to adjust your mounting height so your wings don't wear. New torsion bars would be the very last thing I would try. JMO

12. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Just checked my bars. They are red GL bars.

Think I'll go with timbrens for sure. I run them in the rear and they are great. Don't Change the ride or height but once its loaded they do their job.

Can you explain the differences between cranking the bars and getting different keys?

13. revtoyota

revtoyota Member

I went with a front air bag kit. really nice ride and handling with up to 4 inches of lift when/or ever needed.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's impossible to get 4" of lift out of a GMC IFS unless you cut the upper control arm stops off.

15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The air bags would make me worry about the shock mounts. If you have the GL bars it's not worth while to go up to the XG bars, small if any improvement.

Timbrens and then adjust the t bars to get the plow frame to the right height w/ the plow down. Like I said before if you crank them to high you'll wear the wing edges right off.

Keys give you the option to go higher then the stock keys, but again you have the issue with the wings wearing if you crank them too much.

I personally don't run the timbrens because when I have ballast (salt) in the bed it levels out the truck pretty well. BTW I have the Dmax in my truck.

16. Chevyguy04

Chevyguy04 Junior Member

There is nothing wrong with cranking the T-bars, I have an 02 and 06 Chevy 2500hd both cranked, nothing wrong with it and when the plow is on it squats but doesnt hit the ground like most people who dont crank the t-bars. I know three owners of companies in the area that run all chevy 2500hd's most with blizzards and back blades, all they do is crank the t-bars and never any issues. If you want you can crank them back down in the summer but personally a chevy with cranked bars looks nice, but I know if you tow trailers alot they should be lowered.

As for the mount height there are some adjustments that can be done to make the blade sit level.

17. revtoyota

revtoyota Member

air bags work great... it really depends on what surface you plow on. like here everything is on the side of mountains.

18. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

So, Timbrens and 4-5 turns on the bars sounds like the way to go. Now what do I have to check with the plow to make sure it's siting right to minimize edge wear?

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Green Keys only help you go higher if your stock keys are maxed out and 95% of all 01-08 GM HD's will run out of ride height before that happens. I've had a 9'2 Boss on a 02 dmax cc since new and it's never had timbrens and with 180k the front end is still almost original.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

some food for thought... With the t-bars turned down 2 below stock... I could get about 25 mpg... With the t-bars turned up 6 above stock, the best i can get now is about 18 mpg... I couldnt belive the difference... Defentially turning them down first thing this spring :D