1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grotech- or other brands--control rebuild

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DODGE-BOY, Nov 9, 2008.

1. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Has anyone ever had their spreader control boxes, some with variable speed and some without, rebuilt or repaired? I know it really only takes an on/off switch to operate it but I've got 4 or 5 control boxes that have quit working and I know that anyone half intelligent about electronics could probably fix them. Just don't know if its worth it or not. They of course want 3-4 hundred dollars for new ones. Also how many guys still use the GROTECH spreaders? Can you still find them, did another company continue to produce them? I heard years ago that the owner and his wife divorced and the company lost the right to sell in the USA as they were from Canada. Also might have heard that is where Snowex came from. I have found old ones and rebuilt them and kept my 6-7 going. I think they are the best swing a way type spreader ever built. Input appreciated.

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Could be right about snowex because there first couple of years production off the 8000 spreaders controllers were junk. Lasted about 2 years and a new one was $400.00. I went though 2-3 controllers until we got real spreaders

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

what did you switch to?

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have heard VERY good things about the carrier controls

5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I second the Karrier controllers. I too have heard good things about them. Unfortunately I can't give you first hand info. Haven't used one yet. Next one I replace will be replaced with a Karrier.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i've got a grotech replacement tailgate spreader, it seems like every time we use it we have to take it apart and wire around another switch.....tehy are completely repairable and completely indestructable one you wire around the printed board inside them....but mine has a gas motor so it's gona be a little different than youre's

pj

7. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Sorry all, I'm referring to the Grotech swing away 6-700 pound bagged spreaders. I don't think the controllers are bad when new but they haven't sold these spreaders for probably 10-12 years so the 4-5 bad ones iI have are from the last 15 years. I know you all will dog me out for this but I still use bagged salt and put down about 12-20 truckloads a year. Just a better fit for my properties, my house where I store it, my suppliers, my equipment and subs, and the summer time use of the equipment. I have explored the bulk deal many times but always end up back here.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

thats a lot of bags to open:eek:

9. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Uh, yea..... but do you know how easily a DOLLAR SIGN slits an 80 bag of salt? I am getting older though.

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We replaced the Snowex with a SS Buyer 8' v box, we also have 2 Western ice breakers and a under tail gate spreader