1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

grip studs for tractor tires?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cj7plowing, Nov 13, 2011.

1. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Has anyone put these on the tractor or loader? do they make a difference? looking to put them on my 2 Deere tractors.

2. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

crickets anyone?

3. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

I got tired of messing with the chains and slipping anyway because they work their way between the lugs. (yea I know, I bought the straight across instead of the more expensive diamond type) They're also very noisy and give a really rough ride.

I'm going to try screws this year so I guess I'm not much help. I was searching to see if others had done it and what kind of pattern, how many, etc.

I got a box of 1000 "Original Gold Screws" in a 3/4" length. (~$80 IIRC at BikeBandit) I'll probably put them in sometime in the next day or 2. (or today if I get time)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

5. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I've got the maxi grips on my JCB they help some but they don't make up for a backhoe being a backhoe and not a wheel loader

6. mossballs

mossballs Member
    from MN

studs

WONDERING THE SAME THING. i RUN CHAINS ON MY LOADER PART OF THE TIME BUT IT IS JUST TO HARD ON THE MACHINE WHEN NOT ON SNOW OR MOVING TO THE NEXT LOT. i WAS LOOKING FOR MORE OF A CABLE TYPE LIGHT WEIGHT CHAIN OR THESE STUDS BUT CANT FIND ANYONE WHO HAS USED THEM

7. LON

LON Senior Member

I hav e customers who have used the Maxi-Grips. Mostly on towmotors. Really helps them get around on ice. Of course don't do what one did - put the studs in neat rows of 4. One spin of the tire and there was 4 nice straight grooves in the ice! Stagger those studs.

8. Bighammer

Bighammer Member

Been a few years, but the ice screws have been great. The tractor doesn't see much pavement, so I installed them and just left them in. They have worn a bit, but still a decent bit of bite on ice even though there is not enough left to remove them (with a socket) if I wanted to. Still have the other half of the box, so I'll just add more new ones next fall.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I ran them on factory tires 7740 Ford 4wd tractor work well but come end of the season couldn't get them out. I was told I ran them on pavement to much. To save them for winter time I had to watch where I ran the tractor on the roads it is against the law to run them in summer time.
    New set of tires now never put them back in. Some storms I wish I had them again.
    Thought about putting them in my skid tires Since I run tires in winter and tracks in the summer

10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

just put a set of grip studs on my 299d track machine. Made a huge difference. Go with the grip studs, they have a wider auger that helps them stay in the tire.