1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grinding Ultramount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lbilawncare, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

My Ultramount works great, up down, side to side all work fast as they should. The problem is their is a really severe grinding coming from the pump assy. I would greatly appreciate if someone has had this same issue and what I can do to try to resolve this.

2. te snow

te snow Member

I believe I might be having the same problem. Mine currently operates but runs slightly slower. I replaced the pump ($280), the motor ($180), and extra valves that I had on hand. Still the problem exist. So I'm now almost $500 in the hole and a great parts changer might I add. The truck is currently in the shop at a local plow service center where I should have brought it in the first place and still no call since Monday 19, 2009. I have spoken to almost all plow service techs in the area and no one has heard of the problem. Will keep in contact with you.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

there is a brass bushing in the valve that is hogged out. it is between were the motor bolts to the valve and connects to the pump. possible the studs on the motor are to tight. i bet bushing.

4. Lbilawncare

no lead, thanks for the help. I ran it tonight and it wasn't grinding at all. I think it may have had frozen fluid in it, I have never had this happen before. I use the proper low temp plow fluid. It sat in the shop for a few days and solved the problem.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you were iced up.

6. slappysdump

slappysdump Junior Member

A couple capfuls of dry gas in the fluid keeps it flowing when it gets very cold outside.

7. Lbilawncare

slappysdump, can you tell me what dry gas is? I've heard of heet for gas, what is the shelf name? Thanks very much !

8. DrPhish

DrPhish Junior Member

9. slappysdump

slappysdump Junior Member

Dry gas is just a generic term for gas line antifreeze like Heet etc. Any parts store will have it. I put just a couple capfuls in my plow pump, and power steering pump then put the rest of the bottle in the gas tank (gas engines only). About once or twice a season should keep the fluid from getting slushy.