1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grinding noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OhioPlower, Feb 2, 2008.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

My truck is making a grinding noise in the drivers side front wheel well area. My truck is a 04 gmc 2500hd. I have no idea what it is. The dealer already replaced the hubs and then the power steering pump, but those 2 things didnt fix it. My truck is going back monday. Anyone have a idea of what it would be?

2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

It has to be either the wheel bearing or it could be the brakes grinding. It cant really be to much of anything else unless the wheel is rubbing the inner fender. maybe a piece is hanging down when moving? or tires are to big.

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

what about the dust cover rubbing against the brake or the rim?

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Oh I forgot to say its only grinding when I am stopped and I am cutting the wheel. and it doesnt do it all the time, only every once in a while, mostly when the plow is on.

5. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I had a ford do this, it ended being a dry outer tie rod. They were not greasable from factory :realmad:and luck would have it that it broke a few days later. Put a new greasable one on and the noise was gone. After looking at the old ball and socket, the nylon? bushing was worn to nothing and it was rusty metal to rusty metal contact causing the noise.

6. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Now that you have explained have a friend look at the wheel well and see where the tire is rubbing. That sounds like the most likely culprit. The extra weight is pushing the front end down and when the tire is turned all the way it is hitting the wheel well / inner fender. Just look

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

My tire aint rubbing anywhere. I have 265s on it. It doesnt make the sound when I am driving, just when I am sitting there cutting the wheel like backing into a driveway or or backing out of a driveway.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Dose it make it in 2wd and 4wd ????

9. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

it does it in both

10. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Could it be the CVU Shaft?

11. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

thats what my buddy said it might be. Im just seeing what everyone on here has to say before I go to the dealer monday

12. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

There not to bad to do your self!!!

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

the dealer is gonna cover it under the extended warranty even though the warranty is up, and thats good cause its gonna cost me $0

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Dealer said they looked everything over and they couldnt find anything. What do you guys think?

15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Sounds like a wheel bearing (hub assembly) issue to me. If it was CV axle, they tend to make more of a click or clacking sound.

16. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

they already replaced the hubs so I dont think they went bad in 2 weeks

17. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

CV Axel. Der's da money.

18. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

They said they checked the cv's and they are fine. They are probably lieing to me.

19. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i had my cv axle go bad and i only heard it in 4wd and with the plow on. and only when turning.

20. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Just crawl under your truck and check them yourself- you'll definitely notice if one is leaking!