1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grinding noise game.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The mayor, Jan 31, 2010.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I was driving home today and I started to hear something grinding. By time I got home(4 miles) It was a loud grind and the ABS light came on. The truck is a 99 1500. It sounds the same in 2 or 4wheel drive. The brakes dont affect the noise. Putting the truck in nutural going down the road sounds the same. It is coming from the front. Now lets play guess what it is. I am busy now but will let you know by tuseday...or I hope to trace it by then.

2. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

wheel bearing or axle is my guess.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

yep, check the pass one first.......cause the roads are crowned to put the weight on that wheel.

Jack up that side and grab the top and bottom and shake it in and out and whatch for play....it doesn't take much

Also while you have the weight off of it.......give it a spin you will know right away.

Good luck:salute:

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i would guess bearings also. I believe there is also and ABS sensor in the bearing so that would explain that

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going with gunk in the ABS sensor/reluctor ring.The reluctor ring induces a signal in the wheel speed sensor for the ABS to work.

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

You all got the best of me so I had to check...HOLY S$@T the pass side wheel feels like it about to fall off .When off the ground I can move the tire about 3-4 inches. Funny though when I spin it, it is quiet.

7. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

That's because there's no weight on it besides the weight of the tire. Don't wait too long to fix it, otherwise the wheel WILL fall off Lol. Replacing the bearing isn't a terribly hard job to do yourself. Just get a replacement hub/bearing from Timken and get to work.

8. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Am I to assume this is a whole unit and I can't just buy the bearing. That is what I am reading as I am looking for the parts.

9. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

And the clock is ticking...auto parts store closed on sunday, snow for monday afternoon. Will I get it done. Hell ya unless there isn't one in stock.

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

correct, its one big unit

11. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 Member

Right. It is sold as a hub/bearing assembly. If you have a Farm n Fleet near you, they sell Timken bearings, but I'm not sure on how many different variations they stock at once.

12. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

any reputable auto parts store should have one in stock.

13. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Sounds like a bearing. Check out the ABS lines to make sure they are okay. Bearing could have got real hot and melted a wire..........definitely check when you pull the hub off.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Auto Zone carries Timken bearings. They are usually open fairly late, even on Sunday.

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It's too bad you hadn't caught this sooner- you're probably going to pay $280+ at an auto parts store for the assembly- I got 2 new Timken bearings for my truck about 2 months ago- $189/ea shipped to my door... oh well.... but yes, your bearing is definitely shot... has anyone said that yet :rolleyes:

16. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

All fixed. It turned out to be a wheel bearing...anyone guess that. Thanks all.