1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

grille swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81pickup, Jan 15, 2002.

1. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

I have an '81 custom deluxe but I don't like the grille on it. I was just wondering if it is possible to swap grilles with an 84 silverado. I like the look of the silverado and it looks like it would fit my truck. Anyone done this or have any suggestions.

2. blzn74

blzn74 Member

RE:grill swap

I have an 81 chevy 4x4 hd long bed, that I bought without a front clip on it ,( front fenders, radiator support,grill and lights and hood), and I went to the junk yard and tore of a perfectly used front clip of an 85 chevy, ..bolted right on ,the fenders are the exact same as 81 front fenders, but now I have the look of two head lights on Driver and passenger side( right on top of each other), it was a direct fit!, if I were you I would get a 89-91 front clip off a full size blazer or suburban, personally I like the look of the two small headlights side by side on trucks because it makes it look totally custom,because trucks went to the new body style in 88',you will have an old body style truck with a Blazer/burban front clip, on that front clip you have to change the hood, cowl, radiator support, grill and get a wiring harness , a little more work , but looks cool.
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm still in the '70's, so this may not apply exactly to your situation, but when I installed a newer ('79) front clip on my '75 to get the in-cab hood release, my '75 grille wouldn't fit because the '79 version was thinner.

In the case of the '81 vs '84 grilles, I don't think they are as drastically different. You may have to change the tin brackets that the grille screws into though, I believe GM may have made things "just different enough to tick you off" between the two years.

For all that's involved in removing your grille, pop it out and give it a try.
  4. RTallday

RTallday Member

Yeah, as far as replacing an 81 grille with an 85, that shouldnt be a problem, like 75 said, u might just have to alter the mounting tabs on the radiator support. No big deal really.

5. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

If you go back a month or so in the posts, I had one with pics of my truck, and that is an 82 body with an 83 grill and lights on it. I didn't like the turn signals in the bumper either, or the grill, and it all bolted right up. Had to drill a couple holes to mount the parking lights if I recall correctly, but you can also see pics of the 82 before I did the swap. I'd say you're good to go.

6. RTallday

RTallday Member

Actually, as far as front clips go, i had an 86 K20 frame which needed new front sheetmetal, so i took it off of a 76 c-10 i had. It all bolted right up, but you have to change everything. The hood, fenders, inner fenders, bumper, grille, and radiator support. If i remember correctly i also had to do something to the radiator support mounts, but im not sure what it was. Been a couple years. Hope this helps.

7. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out. :D