1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

grille mounting tir3's

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by oh8chevy2500, Jan 4, 2009.

1. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

anyone have pictures of tir3 or lin3's in the grill of a new body style chevy if so can u post a pic and/link of them and if you have any tips tricks of mounting them to this grill it would help greatly and are the tir3's small enough to flush mount under the tailgate? any help/advice will help
  2. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

I installed blue LED grille lights on the back of our salters and blue Strobes in the headlights and and taillights. The lights on the salters are wicked bright.
  3. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I have the Tir3 lights in my grill, i have posted some pics. I purchased the brackets for them to mount to, and just bent them a little to make them fit the location i mounted them. I mounted them to the plastic for now, and will figure out a better way to mount them later, as i may add two more of them to the grill, they are really bright. In the back, i installed some of the Whelen Vertex hideaway leds, in the reverse lights.

4. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

doo yu have any pics of your switch install also?
  5. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I ran the wires into the cab. I then fused each light seperately with a 3amp fuse, and bought a Cigarette plug from radio shack, and wired them into that for now until i can decide if i want to buy a switch panel, or pull the wire from accessory switch that came with the truck.
  6. Mr Bigblock

Heres a set from Speedtech mounted to a Salt U[​IMG]nit
  7. Mr Bigblock

Mounted to Salter[​IMG]
  8. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

if the plows run blue....what do the cops run?..
  9. Mr Bigblock

The cops up here always ran red, last year they went to red and blue and that has opened a whole can of worms up here.Blue has been associated with snow in Ontario for the last 50 years now the cops think they rewrite the rules but the HTA (Highway Traffic Act) still says blue for Snow.
  10. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Better read it a bit closer, it says blue is only acceptable for vehicles working on behalf of a municipality (contractors) or the MTO. It sucks because we're all used to associating blue with snow removal equipment, and IMO blue is more visible than amber.

We were warned in the fall that if you were caught driving on the roads with the blue lights on you would be fined. You can still use blue on private property, just be sure to turn them off when you hit the road.
  11. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Why even take the chance of Blues... with the LED's I'm pretty sure that all have about the same visibility it's when you go Halogen and Incodesent that you loose the visibility.

You can always use Duct Tape or Velcro to keep the Tir 3's hooked on the grill! LOL
  12. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

He lives in Canada........The cops ride horses ;)
  13. Mr Bigblock

If IF's and Buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christmas. The colour in Ontario IS Blue for snow. NO other colour Amber Orange Green Pink ITS BLUE ive been to the MTO talked to some cops its BLUE. Ive been up and down the roads, in the back allies, its BLUE. Maybe the cop you are talking too is pissed at you coz you got a brighter light then he does lol. Next time tell him to write ya a ticket or go away and catch some criminals and stop bothering a tax paying citizen.
  14. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

It wasn't a cop, it was an MTO officer/inspector......

Seems pretty clear to me, HTA excerpts:

Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (2).

Q1. Has Ontario’s legislation changed regarding the use of blue flashing lights on motor vehicles?

A1. Yes, Bill 203, the Safer Roads for a Safer Ontario Act 2007, was passed on June 4th of this year. Under this new legislation, police service vehicles are permitted to use blue flashing lights in combination with red flashing lights. The combination of flashing blue and red lights will help to increase visibility and public recognition of police vehicles, and protect the safety of police officers when working on our highways. This is especially crucial when police officers are responding to emergencies where they may be required to exceed speed limits or travel through a red light.

Q2. Are snow removal vehicles still authorized to use flashing blue lights while operating on a highway, as a result of Bill 203 being passed?

A2. Yes. Blue flashing lights are still permitted to be used on road service vehicles that are being driven on a highway while performing winter maintenance activities. Road service vehicles are vehicles that are being operated by, or on behalf of a municipality, and those under contract to provide winter maintenance operations on provincial highways, when removing snow, sanding or salting or applying chemicals for snow and ice control.

Q3. Are private snow plow vehicles that are commonly used to clear snow from driveways, parking lots and commercial businesses authorized to use blue flashing lights?

A3. Legislation does not prohibit the use of blue flashing lights on private snowplow vehicles while being operated on private property. However, these vehicles are not permitted to use blue flashing lights while being driven on a highway.

Q4. Are private snowplow vehicles permitted to use blue flashing lights when turning around on a roadway, or when moving snow from one location to another?

A4. No. The use of blue flashing lights is reserved for road service vehicles when performing winter maintenance activities on a highway, such as removing snow, sanding or salting, and applying chemicals for snow and ice control.

Q5. Are private snowplow vehicles permitted to have a blue light attached to the vehicle that is not turned on, or is not producing intermittent flashes of light, when traveling from one location to the next?

A5. Yes. The legislation speaks specifically to “intermittent flashes of blue light”. In fact, if the vehicle is equipped with blue lights they can be turned on provided they are not flashing or producing intermittent flashes of blue light. This is similar to TTC buses that display a solid blue light.