1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grill LED install

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Lowriderfd44, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Lowriderfd44

Lowriderfd44 Senior Member

I'm back with another install. Just finished up installing four Sound Off/Signal LED3s. These lights are fantastic. I origionally wanted to get Whelen TiR3s but the clears were just too expensive. I have them installed on my S-10 and love them. I new someone that worked at a weheln dealer so i got them cheap. Unfortunately, i don't know him anymore.

So i shopped around and came accross these. $49.99 a piece at www.lshlights.com I had my doubts cause they were so small but i watched a video about them on www.sirennet.com. And were very impressed. And i'm STILL impressed. These lights are even better in person.

However, they're a bit of a pain to install. It's more of how the directions are worded. A little confusing. Just read them, then re-read them, then keep them at your side while doing the install, lol.

They have three wires. Power. Ground. Pattern selection.

2. Lowriderfd44

next up, pick where you want them mounted. I wanted them behind the Grill.

Start by removing the cover. It's only held in by push pins. Get a flat haed screw driver and pop up the little pin. Then you can pull the whole pin out. Then the cover comes right off.

3. Lowriderfd44

here's what the pins look like out

4. Lowriderfd44

Here's the front with the cover off. Upon looking, there isn't a lot of room. For a big truck, Silverado 1500HD, There wasn't much room. And with what room there was, There wasn't really anything to mount them too. Only a small radiator support in an upsidedown V. That's when i knew... time to Macgyver some things...

5. Lowriderfd44

Hi ho hi ho, it's off to Lowes i go.

First i measure to see how much room i had. Not much. I originally wanted to do an X pattern with the light

blue\ /blue
    white/ \ white

but there wasn't enough room, or rather places to mount them so it would work that way.

so i went with a accross the grill pattern

blue whiteblue white

with the blue and white on the ends alternating in a different pattern then the two in the middle.

with that, i had 2 feet accross to play with.

I picked up a 1 3/8" x 36" x 1/16" thick piece of zinc plated metal. I found it in the garage door section.

I also picked up four L brackets to use to push the metal plate closer to the grille. I put them together almost like a box.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i've been waiting for like 20 minuts for an update lol
  7. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

lol..... me too:waving:
  8. Lowriderfd44

haha. sorry. i went to go eat dinner. i'm workin on the next one now
  9. Lowriderfd44

Since my grill is divided into sections, i just held the lights up where i thought they would look good, then measured how much space i needed.

originally, i was just gonna run the wires through the existing holes in the metal. didn't work out so well. i had to drill the hole a little longer. The wires on the lights are off set.

I also traced the light on to the metal so i knew where to drill the mounting holes.

10. Lowriderfd44

here's what it looked like without drilling the holes longer. If i did that, i would only be able to get one mounting screw in.

here are the lights mounted with the holes longer. I just used small machine screws, lock washers, and hex nuts. I think they were #6. but i don't know the length.

11. Lowriderfd44

oh yeah, forgot to mention. I had to cut off 1 foot of the metal. only needed 2 feet, it was three.
  12. Lowriderfd44

with that all said and done, now it's time for the bracket. That was a *****, lol. manly cause there is NO room to move your hands around. But, i'll get to that in a minute.

First i put the two brackets together to form a U. and since, none of the holes lined up, i had to drill. you only need two holes big enough to get the #6 screws through. here i used those screws, washers, lock washers, and hex nuts. I didn't put thm together right away though. i had to take them out to the truck and test fit to see what angle they would have to be on to properly mount to the main bracket...:cry:

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I can't wait to see the rest of these as well as shots of them turned on...i really want more lights in my truck :)
  14. kklick

kklick Junior Member
    from ohio

Man this is like viewing adult themed material on dial up (or so I'm told). You watch and watch and hope for the goods and there's nothing. lol... Can't wait to see the finished results.

I've been contemplating the tir3's for my trailer. These may be a little cheaper option the way it looks.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

damn it i left for like an hour and its still not done, lol
  16. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

this is in real time. as he completes a step, he posts it here. maybe he is not done???
  17. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

tic toc tic toc
  18. Lowriderfd44

WOW! i had no idea my thread was this popular, lol. :bluebounc I had to step away from the computer, i was getting a headache from staring at it for so long. I'll finish it up now.

and yes, it is completed, i just procrastinate a lot...
  19. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

got any videos yet
  20. Lowriderfd44

OK. after I made up that little U bracket. I went out to the truck to get a test fit. here's where it gets tricky. since the radiator support is an upsidedown V, i had to mount the part of the bracket on an angle. using the two exhisting holes, not the ones i drilled. i shot 2 self tapping screws in. be careful not to use too long a screw, wouldn't want to puncture the radiator.

oh yeah, be for warned, wear gloves... your hands WILL get cut up by the radiator.

i had to put the bracket together only to see how it would line up. i did that before i attached the piece to the radiator support. i held it up straight as if th support was straight up and down. positioned it where i liked it, then just tilted a bit so that i could mount 2 screws. then i disassembled the bracket. and attatched the other half to the support.

since it's so tight in there, i just used a long extension on my drill and went through the mesh of the grill.

for the other side, i just used something long and flat to lay accross the already attached bracket and marked where the other one would go and attached that one the same way.

sorry, forgot to take pics of just the one half being mounted.