1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Greetings

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by BlackTux, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BlackTux

BlackTux Junior Member

I have been reading this forum a lot. I bought myself a 05 Colorado 4x4 crewcab and was looking to put the Snoway Model 22-6'-8" on it. I would just be using it for my driveway.
    My questions are:
    1. Would my inline 5 handle this, the truck has 4:10 gears.
    2. Will there have to be a lot of mods to my truck. The last thing I want to do is order this product and get nickled and dimed to death with stuff not included.
    3. And does anyone have a personal review about this combo?

Thanks in advance

2. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I will just answer Q n.1. engine will do the job and the axle ratio is fine. I would if possible get a plow designed for that truck, a bolt on job. If not get something else. IMO

3. BlackTux

BlackTux Junior Member

Thanks Jacobsmovinsnow,
    because I am very new to the plow world, I guess my next question is, is the Snoway Model 22 a bolt on job or does it require some major mods?

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Snow way's website says that plow is a recommended fit for your truck so you shoudl be ok. You may want to check with your plow dealer/installer about any recommended cooling system upgrades or anything like that.

You're going to be adding 300+ lb to the front of your truck, so you may also want to invest in some timbrens for the front suspension and plan on putting some ballast in the back of the bed to help keep the truck balanced...this will also dramatically improve the performance of your truck when plowing...without any ballast you're running probably 80%+ of your traction on the front wheels, ballast will help put some more of the vehicle's weight over the back tires.

I use about 400 lb of sand in a big rubbermaid bin strapped to my tailgate...its adequate, but its better with more like 800-1000lb in my truck. Yours will require alot less than that, but your dealer will have some specific recommendations. Or Snow Way's website.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes it is a bolt on, no there are no major modifications required to install the mount. Here is a link to the instructions for installation of a 22 series on a Canyon / Colorado

http://www.snoway.com/service/Subframes/97100987B.pdf

This is a nice match for the truck,. as mentioned before remember that 400/500lbs of counterweight/Ballast will make everything much better. Ride attitude, traction, front end clearance, everything will be better but then this hold true for all vehicles though the amount of ballast required increases with the size/weight of the plow..

6. BlackTux

BlackTux Junior Member

Thank you all for your help.