1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Green Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by to_buy, Sep 17, 2015.

1. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Hello from New Jersey. The Garden State Parkway just got three loads of rock salt that looks green? Anyone have any idea what this is?
    Thank You

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Treated salt. "Normal"

3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

in my area it's clearlane by cargil salt. it works really well and is easy to see in the snow. I liked it much better than magic salt.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Just colored to allow the public to "see" it and make them feel safer.

5. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

**fireside you seem to be in the know about salt in CT. whats the deal with that very fine almost dusty white salt that we where getting last year? is it coming back this year? i would prefer it didnt.

6. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Thanks for the information. I thought the green salt was because we use so much salt in the winter and we are the "Garden State" it would look like the grass is growing in the winter also.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This...............

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Boy I sure hope not!! The salt you are taking about was GT brand road salt. It came from salt desalination plant. It had very little anti cake in it if any. The pure white pile is back along with the pink international salt pile. I don't want that crap again!! I spent more time breaking up the pile just to use it and it was stored in a covered building all summer. When I get a little time I will research it.

The Clearlane is hauled in rail car and the rest comes in by ship. They make the magic right on site

9. jerzeyguy

jerzeyguy Junior Member
    from 07080

The parkway only uses treated salt. The color is so you can see it being applied that's all. Last year it was brown in color, look like sand.

10. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I agree with fireside, Cargill clearlane works much quicker then magic salt. I got some blue salt last winter I think it was called firerock or something, the stuff worked no better then un-treated salt plus it was full of small stones that blended in really well with the dyed blue salt.