1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Green Dyed Salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JeepPlow18, Dec 6, 2007.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

I was in the square in Newton, which is by me in North Western Jersey and I was out shoveling some walkways on my accounts and I noticed something very interesting. At first I thought I had way to much coffee and no sleep but it was true NJ DOT was throwing GREEN dyed salt down. He was fully loaded, could not believe my eyes. What do you guys think about this? I think they are doing this maybe to separate certain mixes of salt and sand and just plain salt for easy loading. I really dont know just putting it out there. Mike

2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

It might have been some sort of magic salt or something with CMA.

3. Sounds like Cargils Greenlane treated salt. Its magnesium sprayed on salt. Works at slighly lower temps than white...

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's what it is. CET uses it for walks.

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I only use it. $10 more a yard, works pretty well and can stay in the stainless steel longer without going bad. In Line-x it gets hard fairly fast though... not sure why.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do you buy direct from Cargill or from a supplier.

7. Pristine PM ltd

From Arnt's Topsoil in Pickering. $98 a yard - $100 a yard at night.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks.....

9. Pristine PM ltd

Email Cargill and they should be able to give you a supplier closer to you I think. CET gets it direct for about $87 a yard.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I believe it's actually Clearlane, but close enough. And it works at much lower temps than straight rock salt. Used to be sugar beet molasses and brown, but there was some patent issue and lawsuit.

Not really sure if it's just mag chloride used as a pretreatment or if there's more to it than that.

Sure wish dsxxxx was still around to answer questions like this objectively. :nod:

11. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Good responses, now I know haha thanks guys. I would have never guessed that:eek:

12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Minnesota DOT is using it here too....

If I had any use for bulk I'd track it down.

I use about 10 bags / event, can't even put a tailgate spreader on the truck for that much.

13. Pristine PM ltd

Whoops, I didn't even catch the typo, yes of course it is Clearlane. Has anyone else had a different salt hardness factor dependant on where the salt is?

14. JT Contracting

JT Contracting Junior Member

I use clearlane and I love it. The bulk that I get comes from Kansas but there may be other mills/mines that provide it elsewhere. The Cargill deicing department is in OH and the number is 1800-600-7258.

15. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

16. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just got a couple 50 pound bags of Enviro-melt to try out. I'm thinking about ordering a pallet. Its a green dyed ice melt as well.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks I have an account at Cargill.

18. Pristine PM ltd

I would love to get it direct, but we can't afford to store it and load it. It isn't ideal relying on a supplier, but Arnt's is pretty good. If you want Clearlane at odd times though, they don't always answer the phone.