1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Greeetings from Minnesota

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SNOWLORD, Aug 16, 2007.

1. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Hello I run a snow removal company in MN we do mainly large commercial accounts we have been doing this for years currently we cover around 100 acres this is the first time I found this site seems informative, I will do my best to help everyone. I guess Im supposed to list my equipment?

Half a dozen payloaders with homemade boxplows ranging from 16'-30'
    7 two speed skidloaders with homemade 12 ft angle plows
    2 or 3 farm tractors with homemade boxplows
    A couple F550's with those larger Blizzard plows with salters on back (I really dont care for pickup plows kind of like pissin in the ocean near as I can see)
    A copuple 1tons with plows and salters
    1 Toolcat
    A few atv's
    Dump trucks when we haul

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

what area of mn are you in and what company do you run???

im in chanhassen (west metro)

3. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Im south of you in Rochester

4. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Good to have another MN guy!

Welcome, good to have someone with your experience to listen to! I live in Bloomington, a couple miles from Mall of America.
    If you don't mind, could I ask a few questions? How do you transition from small and medium lots to the really big ones?
    Do you start with just one and add a bigger piece of equipment, or several and more big equipment?
    How many grocery store sized lots or small stores do you think a small outfit with two trucks and maybe one skid steer with pusher could handle in one snow event, say 2-6 acres?
    Do the really large places usually have a management company that takes care of securing the snow removal service, or is it someone on site? Any pointers on how to contact the person in charge?
    I am excited to branch into big lots instead of just small and medium sized,:redbounce forgive me if I asked too many questions, but any thoughts would be appreciated from someone who has actually done what I want to do. Thanks :waving:

5. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I have never really done any small stuff I do have some business parks that I sub out to a guy with pickups. I guess the best thing you could probably do is try to get into the big lots with mowing or something like that then after they trust you mention that you offer snow removal also, now you may have to go a little cheaper on the mowing to get your foot in the door, I personally would bid everything you possibly can and after you know what you got go equipment hunting to match. I would think you could handle a dozen or so grocery store sized lots but remember I dont run many pickups so I may not be the best for that question pickup plows are like pissing in the ocean IMO but those larger blizzard ones I think their called 8611 or something I do have a few of those those arent to bad but still hard to get much accomplished. Yes most of the large places are managed by someone that is not on site, try just calling one of these places you are interested in and asking for the head of maintenance and ask him who makes the decisions on contracts.
    Good Luck

6. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Thanks a lot snowlord, thats very helpful!