1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Greed, Laziness and blatantly overloading a C-1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chazmanian, Dec 13, 2007.

1. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I'm an idiot....Worse than that maybe.

So I have a 1992 Chevy reg cab C-1500 just a base model Cheyenne thats pretty clean and runs and drives real nice.

This is my first year plowing and I have two accounts that require lots and lots of sand.
    To the tune of about 1-1.5 ton's each per occurance. So in essence there are days where I need to drop 2-3 tons of sand/salt mixture through my western pro-flow 2.

Obviously the two accounts that I have are probably to big for a guy with a little half ton truck and a tailgate mounted spreader.....But this is my first year and I'm learning as I'm earning and will certainly be upgrading to a bigger truck next year.

So in short I have added a set of timbrens to the rear of my truck in order to carry the wieght of the spreader (400#'s) and enough sand to fill my hopper (1000#'s).

Well I got a case of stoopid. real stoopid and filled my hopper and had the guy put sonme in the bed as well. The truck rode and drove just fine so for the past few days I would pick up a load that I'm embarrassed and ashamed to even post here....... Unloaded over the scales at 6050#'s. Tare wieght at scale loaded up and ready to spread...8800-8900#'s.

I'm a total Idiot:help:...I was up for hours and hours plowing and sanding and watching the money meter clicking away. I dunno what i was even thinking. Evidently I wasnt thinking at all. By this morning I noticed my truck had a horrid sagging to one side. I slid under to catch a look and my timbren on one side was laying almost flat against the axle. I took the truck to a local shop to see about replacing it all the way vowing to never carry more than a half ton O' mix and when he got it on the lift we both saw that the frame was bent where the timbren mounts. He straightened the frame section and we are going to box that portion of the frame and replace the destroyed timbren when the current crop of white gold is gone....

So heres my question. Should I be down at the salvage yard looking for a set of 3/4 truck leaf springs? Should I bite the bullet and spend everything I stand to make this year and then some on a 1 ton truck? I spent 5K on the truck I have now with the 7.5 plow and over the past 5 days I have billed out more than that.....Is it possible that i'm doing the work load of a big serious plwowing operation with a little 1/2 ton truck that will be simply destroyed by years end? If I lost the entire truck today I have broke even on it in 5 days.

Do I sell the little 1/2 ton as it still runs and drives perfect and buy a serious plowing rig?

Do I go with wait and see as it may not snow so much more this year and sdimply repair the damaged frame and add a Timbren and stop carting around crazy loads?

Do I find a set of 3/4 springs at the salvage yard and hope that i can at least carry around enough sand for two hopperfulls? (1800+#'s)

Any help would be appreciated...I'm new to this and bound to make some really dumb moves!

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

IF YOU HAVE THE WORK FOR A BIGGER TRUCK GET IT. keep the half ur gonna need something to drive and then u can still add more to ur route

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Suck it up and buy a truck that can handle your needs, before you kill yourself or worse yet someone else.
    I bet the DOT would love to see you driving around :nono:

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

its only dec 13 which means you will need to make it another 2 months of the winter. you should find a bigger truck and prepare to make more payup next year with 2.

5. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I know..I know... I was dumb. Real dumb. I admitted to that. Now I need some help.

Can I add a set of 3/4 leafs and maybe some E? range tires and carry around 1800 Lbs?

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

if u box the frame but then u would probably need a brake upgrade safty first

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

those frames bent easy in the wrong areas as it is. then what you are doing is a no no.

yes you can add 3/4 or 1 ton springs. but all the rest is still 1/2 ton light duty.

get a 1 ton and then run it. money ahead in the end. safty and reliability wise.

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Your frame bent, not the springs. If you go woth 3/4 ton springs you're still going to be pushing on that frame...and boxed or not, its already been weakened by your overloading it and bending it.

As others have said...if you have enough work for a 3/4 or 1 tom truck, replace your 1/2 ton with a bigger truck and be done with it.

Realistically with the weights you're tlaking about here you're not going to get by wiht anything less than a 3/4HD. If these heavy salt/sand clients are consisten then you need to upgrade like this week.

9. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok so lets beat this to death. Since you have said it many times and I don't think I'm going to offend you. Your an idiot :dizzy: I'm saying this in fun but its pretty true. Your looking at the dollars coming in the mail then going in the bank. Your not thinking of your own safety or the safety of the other family's traveling on the road ways with you everyday. You say that you have billed over 5K already and were in the 5th or 6th week of plowing. Thats damn good for a little guy. Like stated before theres 2-3 more months ahead of you and were not even in to the heart of the winter yet. Much Much more money to be made and if this truck BLOWS out "which it will" YOUR SCREWED. Your a buisness owner, it takes money to make money yes very true. But it takes the right tools to do the job also.
    Ok so now I have busted your chops enough I think. :jester: You should be ok with a 3/4 HD make sure its an HD or Heavy Duty. That makes it a one ton frame and heavier axles, not a grocery getter pick up. You will not regret a purchase like this. For now just get a decent truck. By that I mean mechanically sound, who cares what it looks like!!! Please your customers by doing a good job and doing it right. So there that my pocket change cause its a little more then 2 cents. BE SAFE and good luck. :drinkup:

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Buy bigger truck, IT will pay for its self.

You had to be using alot of fule, with that much in the truck

11. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

you need a heavier truck... if ya can't afford one your going to need to sub out the salting...

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

im not sure you understand the difference between the different truck sizes. its not just the leaf springs and tire ratings that make the truck. these are completely different animals. yes tires and springs are upgraded but also brakes, axles, frame, shocks/shock mounts, trans/engine mounts, and even your tire rims. you have already permamently damaged the leafs and the frame next to go is axles and mounts and those will not be good to break while traveling down the road.

and now this information is now posted across the world wide web for all to see, your liability of negligence will be obvious

13. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I see "Spainards" driving around 1/2 tons loaded to the brink of destruction everyday in our town. dangerously loaded. Literally dragging the ground. I dont want to be one of them....I'm not like that! I had no idea wet sand weighed so derned much....I'm now actively shopping for a old 1 ton dually which I will put a big sander on the back and have my helper drive.

I didnt know that snow removal was so lucrative. 2" of snow makes me a $1000.00 in 8 hours? Had I realized this I would have held out for a bigger truck in the first place....I had some concerns and the like about how much it was gonna snow etc..etc.. But now I see I'm in it for the long haul so...A bigger truck it shall be!!!

As far as me endangering anyone on the roads with my overloaded 1/2 ton I certainly apologize...

Although I truly did drive super slow and I used my flashing siren all the time!:eek:

I hate drunk drivers, Methed out late night wierdoes and illegals on the roads without lisences or insurnace. I do not want to be catagorized with that group of hazardous individuals and will exercise extreme caution in the insuing months.:angel:

14. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

Do I sense some misplaced anger or hatred here Bro?

I'll readily man up and admit I made a mistake....I sure dont need you rubbing the **** in my face guy. I came asking for help.

Pffft.

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

no i didnt mean it like that i just want you to be aware that yes the money sounds amazing but lives are irreplacible dont make a major wrong decision just for money. there might also be stress fractures you wont notice until later on.

the 1 ton sounds like a great idea. you will make a ton of money with it on and off season. ill let you know if i come across one that would be available to you

good luck with your endevors :drinkup:

16. chazmanian

chazmanian Member

I'm still in disbelief of how much sand my two contracts require.....

I figgered that each may take a 1/2 ton....Sheese they need 1-1.5 tons each to get any type of decent coverage or melt going. I'm really kicking myself in the butt over not waiting out a heavier truck. I drove the 1/2 ton and it was just so nice...Like nice enough to make me a good daily driver in the summer. All the 3/4's and 1 tons I drove were bad...Really bad. Clunking front ends...Funky steering. Bad barkes. All tore up inside it goes on and on. The only other truck I was even close on was 1992 F-250 reg cab with the 460 and an auto tranny. I really dont like Fords that much and figgered that the parts would cost me a fortune to keep the Ford running whereas the Lil' Chev' was dirt cheap to keep on the road and actualy got "Miles" per gallon instead of "Gallons" per mile!payup That 460 Ford is a greedy fuel guzzling hawg.

So Now I'm back on the hunt. I passed up an E-Bay deal on a 94' 2500 diesel reg cab with an auto that looked really clean. $6,000.00 I wish I had that truck now!

I'm thinking my best bet will be a 3/4-1 ton ealy 90's Chevy with a gas smallblock as the repairs and parts are just so readily available.

I'll post some photos of the new rig soon...Probably gonna need to get one bought over the weekend.