1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Greater lift range on MVP Plus?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jleveke, Jan 29, 2016.

1. jleveke

jleveke Junior Member

I've got an 8.5 MVP Plus on a 2013 Chevy 2500HD and my only complaint if any is that I would like a better lift range. I have adjusted the chains as high as possible while still getting enough float or down stroke. However when driving down the road in V I often scrape the cutting edge over bumps in the road. It may just be a limitation of the plow, but is there any way that I can lift my plow higher while still being able to float properly? I have adjusted the lower brackets on the plow to match the proper height of the truck. Every other V plow I've used does this, and maybe thats just how it is.

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I don't know about the MVP, but on my Uni's I can set the blade on a 4x4, readjust the chain up a few links, and the blade still floats fine.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Do you have anything done to the front suspension of your truck?

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

On my 2006 F350 I upgraded to stronger front springs on the truck. It helped by a few inches (less sag when the plow was raised). I usually transport in v mode, and now the tips don't hit the pavement as much.

5. jleveke

jleveke Junior Member

I've cranked up my torsion bars a significant amount to raise up the front. Helped a little by not having as much front end travel.

6. Philbilly2

You have timbrens in there?

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Easy fix. Don't drive with the wings fully retracted. Drive in straight blade position!!!!

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Or just bump the wings forward a bit from V, this is a common fix for this problem.

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

That's what I do, but they'll still hit the pavement once in awhile. I've got wings on them tho so it adds a bit of weight. The only time I'll put them in full v is if another plow is coming towards me on a two lane road.

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I don't care if the mount is 3 foot in the air, the a-frame cannot be lifted any higher than what is recommended by Western

I have my wings bolted to my 9.6 MVP3. Makes driving a little more interesting but it does not impede me

11. mishnick

Its a matter of geometry. When you have long wings, especially with estensions added, the tip of the wing goes beyond the pivot point of the plow when fully retracted. Therefor, when you lift the plow, like a kids tedder-todder, when the front goes up the other end drops. If you raise the plow mounts on the truck you will end up with the A-frame not being parallel to the ground when you plow and that's a whole other problem. There is a plow system that doesn't suffer with this problem, it's called the "parallel lift system." It has two A-frames, an upper and a lower, so the plade doesn't change angle as it rises. But this is only used on a huge Italian made unit called Asseloni. Have a look at this link... http://www.assaloniprofessional.it/snow-plows/prodotti/ENG/C-PRODO-N0000/

12. jleveke

jleveke Junior Member

I was thinking more along the lines of moving the location of the chains on the bottom of the plow closer to the pivot point. I figured this would give me a better lift range but would put more stress on the pump and hydros. I do fold the wings out when driving, but there are some very narrow and bumpy roads around here.

13. mishnick

Before you do any modifications put a jack under the a-frame and jack it up until it hits the lift frame crossmember. Then look at the wing tips when they are folded all the way back. Depending on your blade length you may find it is even lower.
    If that helps then you could move the chains back and put a bigger ram on. Maybe the MVP3 ram would fit, it's bigger.

14. Philbilly2

This is a Chevy guys... how much does does your front end drop when you pick the plow up?

I have a feeling that the reason that the blade is so close to the ground is that your suspension is compressing when the weight is applied to the front suspension.

If you don't believe me, put a floor jack under your front cross member, make it touch the cross member, but not unload the suspension and lift the plow. I would be willing to bet that the plow has a few more inches of clearance with the floor jack there.

15. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Did you migrate the plow from another vehicle????

Two probable issues... 1) Your truck needs timbrens - all chevy's need it and to turn up the torsion bars. 2) If you migrated the plow it's possible the bolt patterns where it mounts to the plow to the truck are not set for your truck's ride height.

16. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

J does your MVP3 have 4 or 6 springs on trip blade.

17. 1olddogtwo

He never said 3, he said plus (+). Also said 8.5 so it would 4 springs.

18. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Thank you Sir i stand corrected.

19. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Just "bump" each side up a little. Don't drive with it straight.

20. 1olddogtwo

Interesting.