1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Great Western Tech Support

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hobbyjeep, Nov 26, 2014.

1. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

Week ago had a problem with wiring on a Prodigy plow... several on the website gave suggestions - which was greatly appreciated. Late in the day I left a voice mail for Western Tech Service... and they called me the next morning. By that time the plow had been fixed, but wanted to let everyone know Western responded to my call and offered support - which I found impressive.

Thanks again to everyone on the site who offered suggestions.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving - where ever you live.

Ron

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have called Western many times for the really bad problems and they have always been great. I have actually met some of the support guys on the plow course. But I wish people would read the owners manuals before calling for help. At my shop we do some phone support to people who bought from us and sll too often they installed their own plow and then phone numerous times for help with things that are in the installation instructions.

3. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'm surprised. I've contacted western several times about poor quality...to the point that I said my next plow will be a boss if I don't get a reply.

Still no response. Been keeping up with the new boss stuff :)

4. mishnick

Tech support can't help you with your opinion of their product. All plows are machines manufactured by humans and there are always battles between quality and price. If they did what they had to to make the units perfect they would be so expensive no one would buy them. I had a bad weld on my Wide-out a-frame, it broke in the first weeks after installation. I considered that a quality control issue too, cold lap, no penetration, call it what you want, the weld broke. I took some photos and submitted it for warranty. Western contacted my dealer and authorized them to rob a new a-frame from another new plow just to get me up and running again. In another case a guy with a new HTS had a bad weld on his a-frame. Western paid to have an HTS big box (plow without blade) shipped from another shop a couple hundred miles away so that they could rob that a-frame just for him. I know from numerous first hand experiences that Western stands behind their product. But they can't fix opinion. I think I can say what the Western guys would like to in response to your threat of going to a Boss... and that is "go for it." Boss has all the same quality problems, both Western and Boss are metal plows that repeatedly collide with snow piles. Stuff breaks. It's the nature of the business.

5. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I disagree with you, with all due respect.

Second vee I bought had a hole in the weld around the cylinder base. Dealer replaced after some resistance.

I snapped a tower. They faulted me for abuse and refused to warranty it. So I bought a new one. Got everything bolted back on, come to assemble the flostat, and one of their welders blew a hole through the bracket and simply goobered a tack weld, flostat would not mount correctly. Another trip to the dealer.

Weld broke on the d ring that limits the pivot bar. Zero penetration. I take it to the dealer to see if they have a welder. Dealer refuses saying that it cannot be welded twice. I am a welder by trade and know this is a load of crap.

Plow dies in the middle of a storm and needs a new pump. Next storm it dies again after two passes. I drag it home and pull the reservoir off. Full of ice and the pump bolts were laying in the bottom of the tank.

The only response I get from Western was on here. We take great pride in quality assurance...blah blah blah.

I work for a major ag manufacturing chain. Everything is 100% inspected, we have multiple quality checks in place. Farmers buy our stuff because of our reputation of quality. Every machine has someone's stamp and if something fails, that person gets a severe boot in the behind.

I do not feel that my complaints against Western are opinion based. I've had very poor support from both the factory and the dealer. I gave both entities a chance at redemption, and they failed. I don't beat the living tar out of my equipment.

If I follow what you're saying, lets take Meyer plows for example. Its not a secret that Meyer plows suck and have for years. Would you fault contractors switching brands after having quality issues with both the dealer and from the factory?

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to start an argument or anything but from your post it sounds like you plow at 100mph because you certainly break a lot of welds. In twenty years of plowing I can only recall one time I broke a weld on an a frame and that was because I hit a curb I didn't know was there. Might want to try easing up on your equipment a little.

7. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I dint beat on my stuff guy. I could of hit the ring with my ball peen hammer and it would of broke off right out of the crate. A weld with zero penetration has no strength.

8. mishnick

All I can say is I wish you were close enough to come to my shop in Calgary. I am the lead tech on the Western equipment and we are ther for our operators. We go out of our way to keep them pushing snow. I am a Red Seal welder (canadian national standard) as well as a Red Seal auto mechanic and heavy duty on & off road. I've been building and fixing Westerns for about ten years now and I like to think I know my stuff. I ran a 550 with a Wide-out for 4 winters too just to learn what it means to "drive over your windrow" and to feel what it's like to hit a manhole or curb at 5mph. Now I know when an operator says "I only hit it at 10mph" that the a-frame or mounts are surely bent. I can't say you're abusive but it sure sounds like you need to contact a different dealer. I have never found a pump and bolts in the bottom of the reservoir but I have seen a whole MVP3 hydro unit fall off and dangle by hoses because the three bolts fell out. Every year we see new things that were overlooked at the factory. We get caught with our pants down once and then we check that point on every build after that. Sometimes I think it was better before the big box. When I assembled a plow from scratch I knew it was built right and there was no blaming the factory. But these days you install 4 pins, mount the blade and bolt on the headlights. You would think that in a production line situation quality control would be easy. I would love to have a tour through the Western plant to see for myself who and how they are built. Who knows maybe they are built in China!?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  9. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Well, I can assure that they are not. The are assembled in the "business unit" then crated and stacked all within 100 yards in Milwaukee.

10. mishnick

Have you been on the production floor? Are the welder a robotic or human?

11. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

There is a mixture of both for sure. Only been in Milwaukee.

12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Never had a problem tech.. they have even replaced spinner motors last yr on both my tornados that were 2 yrs past warrenty with the upgraded larger shaft no problem just over $1000... sometimes you win sometimes you loose... im sure the guy that brings a 300k ferrari in for a defect isnt happy either. Boss, western, meyers.. ford chev toyota it dont matter some are just lemons.... as for a prevoius tread about quality "american made" vs over seas... imo everything is built to break.. american made means what??? Total bs... how many john deeres are actually made in the US probably 3-5models everything else is over seas. Why? cost, period... us people in NA think we're all worth $50/hr but the truth is over there they make $50 a month and charish there jobs, show up to work everyday ontime and do what there shown to do by us! And kissing someones a$$ on the phone/email trying to get free parts on warrenty goes alot further then telling them FU i go by a boss....

13. mishnick

"Everything is built to break" I think they call it engineered obsolescence. It's a base principal of our economy for hundreds of years. If they didn't fail shortly after warranty no one would ever buy new ones. It's a delicate balance between what failure level the customer will tolerate and how much it costs. Western, Boss and all the other manufacturers play by the same rules to be competitive. "Adapt and overcome."