1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Great way to wash truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mdirrigation, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Another contractor and I made a water curtain. All it is is 1 1/2 inch steel pipe with slits cut in it , 1 to hit each side of the truck and a long pipe in between to do under the truck . We hook it to a fire hydrant , or hydro seeder . ( you could do the same thing with a powerful pressure washer )
    Cleaned the trucks in less than 10 minutes .

2. mickman

mickman Senior Member

any pics? and how do you tap into hydrant & is that legal or allowed?

3. Mdirrigation

Dont have any pics , my camera is packed away during a major remodel I am doing. Is it legal ? Yes , if you have a meter , he does for filling a hydro seeder. You buy fittings to fit a hydrant . Can you do it with out a meter?
    Yes , but dont get caught .

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

And hopefully it is a self draining hydrant so it doesn't freeze when you don't pump it out and then the FD can't put out a fire because you're using hydrants illegally. Those permits are not just for taking your money, they are also to track hydrant usage so they can make sure this doesn't happen.

I'm sure that would be highly looked upon.

5. Mdirrigation

if it were not self draining , it would already been frozen . The permit here ,is just so you pay for water, no tracking of hydrants at all . What we are doing is perfectly legal since we are using a meter . My brother is a paid fireman , I hear all the stories .

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you want to clarify and explain some of the ramifications of not doing it legally, I would think that most people wouldn't know about this.

7. Stang977

Stang977 Junior Member

More Important,if you don't use a backflow preventer on the hydrant you run the risk of contaminating the public water supply!! That will be a HUGE fine.
    Generally, hydrant hook-up permits are not issued without them. Obviously the regulations vary by region.
    Please hook to hydrants legally as per your Town/City.

Regards,
    Rich

8. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

Is this for real? Why would you post something as unprofessional, and not to mention stupid, as what you have just recommended?

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When I was a concrete saw man we had water meters as well. But if they ever caught us using the meter to wash our truck I am pretty sure it would have been confiscated.

Just saying here in Illinois. Not starting nothing just maybe this is something I would'nt brag about.

10. Mdirrigation

Excuse me ? what is unprofessional about using water that you pay for for washing your trucks? Stupid ? Ok since when is standing at a car wash in 20 degree weather smart , when you can sit in a warm truck and drive over a pipe and clean ythe salt off a truck in less than 10 minutes. What may be ilegal where you are is perfectly legal here with the permits and meters . We can fill the hydro seeder and use it to wash the trucks , same water , same price , same meter and rpz ( backflow) .

" Stupid " is someone who makes negitive comments with no basis of knowledge .

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  11. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Water meters in MD

I can undestand some of the concern show by others in reply to this thread. They're concern is warranted.
    I have been a Lisenced General Contractor in MD for 22 years.
    In MD, ALL Hydrants are drain hydrants. I have installed 30 of them in the last week.
    In MD, ALL Water Meters are supplied by the juristictional Water Authority and come equiped with Backflow Preventers. I currently rent 5 of them.
    Lastly, in MD it is perfectly legal to use the water from the Hydrant for any purpose with the exception of potable water, including the washing of vehicles. I currently use 4 of the 5 meters for washing down trucks before they leave the jobsite.
    Perhaps this info will lay the concerns to rest.

12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Thats a pretty damn good idea IMO. I want to try it execpt use my Powerwasher hooked up to the pipe. I'd mainly use it to get underneath the trucks :)

Thats pretty dang creative man!

13. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Gravel pits/Stone quarries use this method to wash the silt off of trucks before entering the roads. Often there is a bath that you roll through prior to entering the scale to clean tires also. Helps keep the dust down for the neighborhoods around the site.