1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

great storm until...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mike33087, Dec 9, 2005.

1. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

everything was great until the f'n 4x4 shifter snapped halfway through a shift from 4lo to 4hi :realmad:

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That sucks, better get that fixed before the next snowfall. :nod:

3. pelletman

pelletman Junior Member
    from MA

Transfer case shifter

This is common on Fords I'm told. That's why they always have that part in stock. I just sold my 96 F350 the kid had paid me but hadn't picked up the truck yet. I went to shift it out of 4WD and the shifter just got floppy in my hand. $210 later for the bushings that don't fit and the aluminum piece of crap Ford part and it was fixed. If you have a Ford you may want to prevent this by removing the shifter mechanism, taking it apart and greasing the shifter where it pivots on the bolt on the detent plate. I think Chevys are junk too, but my Dad has an almost 200K mile 91 2500 that still works pretty well. My F350 with half the miles has already needed a transmission, oil pan, head etc etc. I would stay away from Fords.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

200,000+ k miles and the chevy is fine, Ford 100,000k milles needs transmission

But the Chevy is JUNK? This makes since how?

5. proshare

proshare Member

Sorry to hear about your shifter woes, I know that sinking feeling when you feel the shifter go limp in your hand - all too well.
    ford part# F6TZ-7210 HA .
    anyone reading this with this same shift assembly would do yourself a big favor and save $265+ by dis-assembly and lube the pivots & the linkage.
    At the least you can remove the shifter boot in the cab and spray some PB Blaster on it to keep it free. If you have to pull the lever with any force at all and dont hear it "click" into gear freely then your well on your way to snapping it off.

6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Sounds familiar. Happened twice on '92 F-250 I run. I don't whole-heartedly recommend it but... You can put the truck in neutral (wheels blocked & e-brake set!!) and crawl under to manually select the t-case position in an emergency. The t-case has a lever w/ rod attached to it, you want to move the lever on the case directly. I cannot remember the positions but the detent is in the case therefore you can still feel all 4 positions (4hi, 4lo, 2hi, neautral). And people complain about locking the hubs!

7. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

Same thing happened to my 93 F250. The part I needed was on back order from the dealer for weeks before I decided to remove the assembly and weld the broken piece. I also made new bushing and installed a grease fitting. I will never have that problem again.