1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

GREAT, now it won't angle right

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Feb 6, 2009.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

So my "new" truck is giving me more grief than it is worth. I started changing the fluid on Feb 4th, drained the reservoir and left everything uncapped (in the unheated garage) overnight. It was about 10 degrees outside give or take. I posted a question about a non-existent sight level plug yesterday, then last night went to finish up the job (about the same outside temp).

Added Mercon V ATF (some before realizing I hadn't yet replaced the drain plug :realmad:), about 1.5 qts, cycled the plow controls up/down, left/right. Both seemed to do fine at this point. Added about another 0.5 qts, and angling right seems to be VERY slow compared to left. Also seemed to move better to the right in the raised position vs. down. Added another .1 qts or so (probably netted about the same or less b/c some came blasting out of the fill plug b/c I didn't release the pressure enough :cry:). Now the plow will not angle right, and it even angled to the left a little it seemed. The plow was almost fully angled left so I can't really tell if it would continue to do that when commanded to angle right. I think before the .1 qt (but maybe after), I put a jack under the push beam to raise the truck a little bit to make sure the fittings were at the highest point of the rams to help get the air out.

Sooo, how do I fix this??? The mechanics manual says if the reaction is angle left for angle right, S3 is stuck shifted. If the reaction is nothing, either S2 is not shifted or poppet check valve not opening. Not sure what that means or how to fix it. I was wondering whether maybe there was moisture in there that froze, but I wouldn't think it would be enough just from the air... Is it just air trapped in the lines or rams and I should remove the fittings again from them and let some air out? If yes, should I move them back/forth, or just remove and then replace the fittings?

The truck seems to have ate the oil pump, so this is really starting to make me want to :angry: it!

2. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

What type of plow?

Does it make noise but not move?

Did you triple check/wiggle all connections to truck?

Also triple check/wiggle all solonoid contacts.

3. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Its a 8' Fisher Speedcast w/ SEHP pump.

Yes, it makes noise (i.e. the pump runs). It goes up/down fine as well. Can't tell angle left at the moment, but it was working fine when right wasn't, so I assume that's still the case.

I can try to triple check the truck connections, but the truck is a wiring hack-job and it didn't move when I was changing the fluid. I'll have to look at a diagram for the solenoid contacts, not sure where those are.

4. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Mine is an 97 MM1, and when mine makes noise but doesn't move (I always think its frozen). I have a plastic box that covers my solonoids, and Make sure all those contacts are clean. Its defanately something silly like that. The solonoids open a valve and the pump will pump allowing that opened valve to flow. If one part of that series is not working, it will make noise but no movement. Helps having 2 people. One to keep 'pulsing' to the right, while you are wiggling wires/connections until it will move to the right.

By yourself it takes a lot longer, and you may not pinpoint the problem as you will move multiple things then walk back and try.

And pulse it, to avoid overwear/overheat/overdraw.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

OK, I think I know where you are talking about, I'll check that when I go home. It does sound just like my Meyers when it would freeze.

My son isn't quite 2 yet, so he isn't quite the helper he would like to be yet, but he's working on it. I'll have to enlist my wife to stick her hand in the ugly/dirty truck :)

Thanks for the tip on pulsing, sometimes I find myself holding it for a few seconds hoping that extra bit will do the trick ;)

6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Well, double checked the solenoid connections and it didn't seem to make a difference at first, but then I double checked the fittings and tightened it up a little more, checked the solenoids again, and it started working again. Slower at first, then (probably after the air got out), same as angling left.

Now I do have a new problem that I didn't notice before, the DS quick connect fitting connection is leaking at the valve. I removed the male fitting on the actual hose so I could manually cycle the ram to purge the old fluid, then hooked it back up good and tight. It appears the leak is coming from the female part of the quick connect, and not from the threaded back side, but from the sleeve part that moves back/forth to accept the male side. I see there is an o-ring in the female part, should there be one on the male part too? I don't see anything else I can tighten to make this leak go away, but its making a little puddle on the a-frame...

Thanks
    Jeff