1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Great New business !! Wrong truck ??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by abbacatt, May 23, 2001.

1. abbacatt

abbacatt Junior Member

I'm new to plowing and have tons of questions! The good news is a good friend of mine is 1 of the biggest developers in the area and has given me enough small plaza type lots to do to pay for my truck for the first year. I wound up locating a 2001 Dodge 3500 DRW for a deal I couldnt refuse. Along with this truck another friend has a small dump and a 2500 pick-up The pick-up will be a stand by truck.
    My problem is I dont know how a DRW will work out even with a 9' or 10' plow? I'm thinking of a BOSS 8.5' Vplow it opens to 9.5' this will cover the rear wheels but I dont know about spill over. I would appreciate any advice on this and any tips on bidding small/medium lots thanks abbacatt
  2. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I have been using Boss 9'2' V's on my S.D.'s for the last few years. The tires only run in the snow when I am turning. Due to the weight of the plow you should probably ad a set of Timbren or Monroe Muscles rubber load boaster springs to help carry the weightof the plow.
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Lawnsite! For a 3500 DRW pickup, I agree with 99SDPSD on the 9.2 V plow. For a straight blade, 9' is as big as I'd go - the 10 footers are intended for trucks in a higher GVW class. (Fisher shows 2 different 9' straight blades in their brochure: the HD 9' which would work on your dually (weight 925#) and the MC 9' which weighs 1690# - it's too heavy for the dually!)

BTW, along the top of the page you'll see a list of options. Click on "Search" and use that feature to look through the forum for previous discussions on this & other subjects. Lots of good info there to be had, put the search feature to work & read away!

Looking forward to sharing ideas & info with you.