1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Great low profile backup light option!!!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by wkahler, Nov 19, 2009.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Just found these and has me thinking about a great option for a low profile look and a direct mount to a bumper or headache rack!!! Low amp draw and a great light at 500 lumen!!
  2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

there was a thread witht hese in it....some had them on the push bar...

do a little research and you will find it.....they are pretty bright..
  3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I've saw those lights on here. Never really seen how they worked though.
  4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well i just ordered one. Figured i would try them out and see how they do. If they work good im gonna get 3 more. Dam their pricey. They better last a REALLY long time.
  5. ejsmass2

ejsmass2 Member

I found these for a backup light

I decided that I really wanted to see this year backing up. I tried to do whelen optiscene 700 lights in housings but with the heat sink they will not fit into the housing andav tob mounted in the body something I do not want to do.

I decided to go with visionX lights. http://www.visionxonly.com/m7_view_item.html?m7:item=XIL-200s They are supposed to be very bright and have low amp draw. Each light is 3600 lumins in the 12 inch size. I am going with 3 (one inder the rear bumper wired to the backup lights and two mounted to an above the tailgate backrack bar on a switch to the cab. This will give me 10800 lumins out the back with a 15amp draw if I want it.

Matt from BlueLine will be installing this weekend and I am hoping for a great outcome.

I hope this works out.
  6. maelawncare

HOLY CRAP. Dang man, i thought i was sinking some money in. When are you getting those done? Im really interested in those if they work good. But at that price you can get 4 of the 1000 lumen ones.
  7. ejsmass2

ejsmass2 Member

The VisonX LEDs

They are being installed this sunday by BlueLine in MA. I am looking forward to being very happy with the solution.

8. maelawncare

Well i just got mine. HOLY CRAP. This thing is freaking BRIGHT. I dam near blinded my self when i looked it acidently. Some how i always do that.

Extremely bright, but a big con. Its a spot light. Not a flood light. This were made to go on the push bars for police cars to light up beside the cars for long distances not wide areas. So for us plow guys, its only good for that. I think im gonna wire it up with 2 more set at an angle so i can get a good 180 degree daylight. :D

When it gets dark out i;ll post some more pics.

9. maelawncare

Do you ever get them installed?
  10. markszz4

markszz4 Junior Member
    from nova

I have three of these lights in my Tahoe. One to the left of the tag and one in each quarter panel. They are extremely bright. However, they are spots not floods.
  11. markszz4

markszz4 Junior Member
    from nova

Another thought in reference to the spot aspect. I have a spare one of these lights. The lens is removable and when removed comes apart into two pieces. One part is the magnifier for the led(s) the other is the entire lens. I have considered media blasting the inside of the main lens to difuse the light pattern. I'll keep you posted if I do this.
  12. maelawncare

Ok so i found out that they have 2 versions of this light.

One with a spot lens and one with a refractive lens. I just ordered 2 of the ones with refractive lenses. Seeing at how bright these suckers are, i am really interested in seeing how bright these suckers are. I also ordered one of their 1000 lumen flood lights as well to compare.

Oh and mark, i emailed soundoff about taking out the spot lens and putting in the refractive lens. They told me that theres is a weather seal that if you open breaks. So they said there was no way to do it :(
  13. markszz4

markszz4 Junior Member
    from nova

There is a seal on the inside. It does not break, its more like a ruber flange gasket. I have had them apart before. The down side to the refactive lens is the way it has to be mounted. The lens is refracted 15 degrees in a certain direction. Not sure how well it is difused though. To remove the lens asm. there are four TORX screws on the back side of the housing. After the screws are out the lens just falls out. No seal will break.

Another thought, I think SoundOff does not want to supply a warranty for something that has been taken apart by the end user. Even though there is no damage done.
  14. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

those led X-emitter bars or whatever they are called.....The guys on "Storm Chasers" have two on the front of the TIV2.....If you have seen the show you know what I mean. And they use them for "headlights" They must work good.
  15. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

These are my back up lights. I love them. Very bright.

16. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

i have a remote controlled GO LIGHT and i love it
    check em out pricey i guess but remote spotlight i have some dark steep roads and like to see all around me at diff times but mainly behind.
    there are a variety of diff versions and you can get a spot or flood. I got flood and it is super bright and can be used as spot but doesnt have alot of glare if forward
  17. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

I'm thinking about ordering one of the 1400 lumen flood lights. I put two of the round 500 lumen under my bumper, beside my hitch for backup and they work great. The one thing that i love is that i just shot the wiring right into my reverse lights since the draw is so low and they work great. I have a set of ladder racks that i am going to get put on and if i get them on this winter i was thinking about mounting a 1400 lumen on a separate switch to add a little more bang!!
  18. maelawncare

Just bought a 4" model of the xmitters. Their supposed to be super bright and have a great spread. I havent heard too many good things about the other leds spread. But this one i have heard has the best. So i figured i would tye the cheapest model first.

The ones that i got that have 3 1w leds are ok. But not crazy bright. I want crazy bright. These have 4 3w leds. So i am hoping their pretty dang bright.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  19. searay220

searay220 Member

There has been lots of pictures posted of backup light instulations. One thing I have noticed is most of the lights will be destroyed the first time you back up into a snowbank.We all do and it can't be helped but when there exposed like that they will get broken. I would think they would need to be under the truck more beyond the bumper and on the trailer hitch frame. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  20. maelawncare

Your defiantly right. A lot of people have been talking about that. They are really easy to break off if their not protected.