1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Great Electrical Quick Connects

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by N2VSB, Feb 12, 2004.

1. N2VSB

N2VSB Junior Member

I have been in search of the best quick connects for small electrical items, such as the roof beacon, amateur radio, and any other electrical items that you might carry in your truck while plowing. I found these things called Anderson Powerpoles. They are great. They have a wide varitey of amperage ratings for these and seem to work great. I recently installed my roof beacon using all of these to make it easily removeable. I found a few web sites for these.

1) Andersons site - http://www.andersonpower.com/index.html
    2) Power Werx - http://www.powerwerx.com
    3) DC Power - http://www.dcpwr.com

Sites 2, and 3 also have red and black zip cord which comes in handy when wiring your vehicle for all of your plowing necessities.

Todd

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Todd,

How much do you know about the plugs?? Is there a way to make more then a 2 conducter plug configuation? By the looks the plug itself isnt waterproof. Is there a way to make it water proof? I bet they do work well, its something to put more thought into...Rob

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I used to use those "power poles" things on my R/C cars back in the day... We called them sermos, I think. You can link together as many as you want, the interlock on all sides and come in different colors.

-Jer

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

For my beacon I used a two prong trailer plug you can buy at a good auto store. I wire them to a fues switch and have the end come out under the to brake light ,it works great.

5. N2VSB

N2VSB Junior Member

Robhollar - No they aren't waterproof but, you can make them "rain tight" with a balloon, just cut the top of the balloon off and slide it down the wire over the quick connect, put the quick connnect together and slide the balloon over the whole thing, and zip tie each end. This works great. As GripTruk mentioned, these things are used in the R/C world quite often. (I got the balloon idead from the R/C world) If you are looking for waterproof connectors received a catalog the other day for Longacre racing. In there they had some that appear to be weather proof. They are called weather pack connectors. They can be found here(http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/catlist.asp?catid=13), (Scroll to the bottom of the page) with the associated tools that you might need. The anderson powerpoles are much cheaper, and the weather tight issue can be resolved with the balloon. So for now I think that I will stick with them. Personal preference I guess. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to try and help.

Todd

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Those are used alot on battery powered equipment, we have them on all of our autoscrubbers, I've seen them on forklift's, pretty much anything that runs on multiple batteries, will have those as a connection to the battery charger.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I use a trailer conector for my light bar too. Its a 7 plug since I got all kinds of wierd finctions. I filled it full of dielectric grease and squished it in there. Works great so far.

Those little guys look neat though and look good if you dont have a bundle of 7 different wires :dizzy:

8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Also , buy a tube of dielectric grease and apply to all connections , male and female