1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Greasing up the moving parts

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MC94XR7, Jan 7, 2016.

1. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I searched everywhere. I am the 1st person on the internet to ask what seems to be a dumb question- but it would be dumber if I don't ask ;). What kind of grease should I be using in a grease gun to the pump into the 3 grease fitting of my Western HD Pro Plow series 2?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Water resistant would be my first choice.
    What does the owners manual suggest?

3. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

It says nothing in the maintenance section. All it says in Postseason Maintenance is:
    "-Apply general purpose purpose petroleum grease to exposed chrome surfaces to prevent rust.

-Lubricate all pivot points (for example, the stand lock pin assembly and lower spring anchor) with general petroleum grease)."

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Then refer to my fist suggestion

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, that's your answer then. Universal / general purpose petroleum grease.

Personally, I think the boat trailer bearing grease works the best, as it's extremely resistant to shear and dissipation. There are industrial greases out there that are even better, but it's just a plow..

Personally, Since I have only one grease fitting on my Looneymount (in the greaseable bolt I made myself) I use the same amsoil grease that I use in my drivelines and steering assemblies (tie rod ends and kingpins). The real key is frequency. I do it after each and every storm to be ready for the next storm. I like pushing the salt and other crud out of the joint so that there's nothing foreign in there afterwards.

If we ever get snow, that is....;)

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I use White Lithium.

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Any petroleum base grease is good. There are many very expensive types of grease but a plow is only primitive metal to metal joints, no roller bearings, no bushings, no high tech precision machined surfaces. At our shop we use generic chassis grease. More frequent cheap grease is far better than infrequent expensive grease.....

8. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

Thanks a lot guys. I can hear it in my plow thats she needs a bit. I only had 1 run.

9. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

'preciate 'er, boys. I went back to where I bought my plow and they recommended White grease. So I bought a tube of it.

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

:laughing::laughing:White grease??? is that a racial thing???

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

11. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

no. But I was told it was the superiour grease to use.

12. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I got 3 grease fittings on my plow the 2 outer ones were greased by the guys with some blue grease. but the centre one didnt seem greased. how much grease should go into it? I must have given her like 20 pumps and she's not pressurizing nor is she leaking out anywhere. Any one else got the same plow as mine know what I'm talking about?

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

There's a Black History month so why not White Grease.....

14. Snow Intruder

Snow Intruder Junior Member
    from Oregon

I have a snowdogg HD75 with only four grease fittings there are several other pivot points and among them with out fittings are the hydraulic rams. On the loaders, snow cats, tractors, I run all pivot points can be greased.
    Not sure if this is just a dogg thing.

15. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

what grease do you use?

16. Snow Intruder

Snow Intruder Junior Member
    from Oregon

Type of grease used

I use the Valvoline Automotive & Industrial General Multi-Purpose Grease. I use it after each days plowing as it helps to displace any water in the joints. Thanks for asking and have a good day.:mechanic: