1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Greasing the Western 1000

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Spucel, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Hey guys,

:help:Questions...how often do you grease the 2 Zerk fittings on your Western 1000 Spreader? The one is easy to get to but the other is a pain so I am thinking about putting an extension on it to get past the motor cover which has been discussed on here in other threads. I really dont feel like taking that cover off each time I need to toss a little grease on it. I'm all about preventive maintenance:mechanic:, I like to make the equipment last. Thanks!

2. FourRLawn

FourRLawn Junior Member

we grease the one under the motor cover a couple times a season and the one that is on the bottom we grease after every time we use it. when we first used this spreader about 6 years ago we did not do this and the next storm it was frozen up and i was not happy so we give it a good rinse and grease the bottom and check the top on once a month thats what we do hope this helped you out

3. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

id grease it every other use and what not, want to make your spreader last. pic up a good encapslent (sp) the compnay i work for is in love with lubra seal for the inside of the spreader. they also love armour tech for chasis and under the cab. the cool thing about armour tech is its paintable so i just did the frame of a chassis cab before we built the weight box for it than painted the frame to match the truck,

4. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Great!! Thanks for the info