1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Greasing the Vertical Hnge Bushings (V-PLOW)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Offroadz71, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Ok, I have been to three stores to find a needle or something to grease the Vertical HInge. I found a needle, but was too thin. Does Boss send you something with the plow for this application? This is a new 07 v-plow, not sure if this verticasl bushing is the same as others! What can I use to fill these bushing?

2. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

you have to buy a grease tip for greasing chain saw bar sprocket. you should be able to find it at tractor supply:cool:

3. AlaskaShooTer

AlaskaShooTer Member

Hinge Grease Zert

After going to a handful of local auto parts stores and tool supply places I finally found a suitable fitting for my grease gun at my local NAPA store. My chainsaw bar tip grease gun I have is very, very fine and will take a lot of pumping to get a suitable amount of grease into the V-hinge. The zerk I finally bought puts out a larger stream of grease then my fine tip for the saw bar roller tip.

Try NAPA, sorry I didn't save the part number but it is a long tip.

George

4. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Thanks guys, I will try again with NAPA.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the one from napa might be too long if you have to snow deflector on.

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

The adapter to use is from Lincoln part #83278. Most Carquest parts stores have them in stock or if not will order one for you.
    :rolleyes: John...

7. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Haven't hade a spare moment to run to the stores again. THANKS for your help!!!!!

8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

not to sound like an ass or anything but why dont you guys just squirt some grease on a rag and rub it on the hinge. it should get inbetween the hinges just fine and on the main shaft. im a newb to all this plow stuff but that is what i did on my newly purchased boss 8.2V

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're not an ass, just ignorant. Unless you stand there for a long, long time, you will not get the grease to where it needs to be--on th hinge pin. Same basic principal as packing wheel bearings.

Besides, that is why Boss drilled all those little bitty holes--so you can grease the hinge.

10. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Simple forever fix (I believe anyway). Loosen the wing springs. Set the plow on the ground. Unbolt the center pin. Pull the pin out. Hit the pin with alittle emerycloth to shine it up. Slather that baby with never sieze and slap it back in. I did this last fall and am interested to see how they come back out. I think that it will be pretty effective though.

11. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

If you put anti sieze on it last fall, ? How does it look this Fall? Just curious what your outcome is.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can get one like this at napa.
    here is a pic

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

why get a good rag dirty?
    Just pour oil on it, the oil should flow into the areas that need to be lubed..sorry ,but how does the grease get it to where the friction is? Your way, would be like putting gas in a can and putting it in the back of your truck and saying you have a full tank....lol You can not wipe some grease on the outside and hope it gets into where it needs to be. Hey! good luck with that new plow...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  15. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

:drinkup: SnoFarmer, Thanks for the pick now I know exactly what to look for. Here's $5.00 for the time you saved me a lot of time, and for all others including Snofarmer a beverage of your choice to everyone else that has helped. payup
    I loved that part about the pouring the oil all over to get everything lubed! LOL.... Hopefully terrapro reads the owners manual and figures out that pushing grease with a rag into a hole isn't going to properly lube the joints. Boss does supply the video with the plow that shows how the grease needs to fill the vertical hinge assembly.