1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grease Zerk Upgrade pics

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I finally got some photos of some of my grease zerk upgrades. There are a few different plows shown, some new builds and my almost new, almost destroyed wide-out. There are photos of zerks on the pivot pins at the rear on the end of the pivot bar (which is now done at the factory on new plows) and there are some examples of zerks on the blade pivot bolt.

Zerk1.jpg

Zerk2.jpg

Zerk3.jpg

Zerk4.jpg

Zerk5.jpg

2. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Just did the same thing to my Pro Plus i hope this cuts down on wear of the center pivot bolt

3. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

does it make any difference that my plow is so warn that it tilts and flaps like a ******** one winged bird as i go down the road?

4. mishnick

It's never too late to add a lubrication system.... that is as long as the part are not alread siezed together.

5. birddseedd

do the newer plows have bearings or something? if its just a solid shaft going into a hole with no area to store grease. yo wouldent be able to fit any more grease than a thin layer around the bolt?

6. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

Nope but im not gonna judge you if you like things loose.

7. birddseedd

haha. funny. i do want to referb my plow top to bottom. cut pieces to replace the warn out holes that are in it so it will be a bit tighter.

tho. i should probably redo everything on it. even the cylendars are falling off. i didnt even know it. i thougth i was just low on fluid.

8. mishnick

"do the newer plows have bearings or something? if its just a solid shaft going into a hole with no area to store grease. yo wouldent be able to fit any more grease than a thin layer around the bolt? "

In technical terms, any moving part that is being supported by another part without formal roller bearing are called "friction bearings" just like on the crankshaft or camshaft of an engine. There are no rollers on normals engines for these bearings and they are lubricated by engine oil. The pivot pins enter the swivel bar and rotate within each other every time the plow goes up or down. I can assure you that grease does goe in, and come out the end of the pins, and it does have significant benefit. Just try taking the swivel pins out of a ten year old plow that has been put away wet and sat all summer. Without grease or at least anti-sieze when it was built, it is impossible to get apart. I can garunttee you, Western doesn't make it's holes with much precision, every pin (especially ram pins) has more than enough room for grease.

9. birddseedd

good info. ty. maybe ill look into grease fittings for mine when i referb it. tho i dont think its constructed in a manner that there is a place for them. old old western i have.

10. mishnick

The old uni-mounts have no good place for grease zerks.

11. birddseedd

actualy, hehe. i dont think mine qualifies as uni-mount anymore :mechanic:

12. mishnick

It's that old???? Must be a cable plow, probably older than I am LOL.

13. birddseedd

it is. but, well. imagine this...

cable western plow.

lift frame from a plow that predates western cable plows

whats left of a jeep bumper (not kidding)

meyer mount for a different truck.

and lots of duct tape. (might be kidding, probably not)

hence ---------------->:mechanic:

14. birddseedd

well. i think i got rid of the jeep bumper when i got the realy realy old lift frame. woudla got the pump and all, but that was attached to the engine, and the engine did not run.

15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

No bearings in plow pivot points.Just pin and bushing assemblies,some even without bushings,so just a sleeve then that will take plenty of grease.If you can install a grease fitting it's always good,more insurance that the joint gets lubed.