1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

grease your bearings!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by paul soccodato, Jan 19, 2003.

1. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

we had about 1"-1/12" of snow, on friday (1/17). i loaded up the salter (at 4:00am) and went to go do the route.

about 6:30 am, im on my second load of salt, the engine on the spreader gets bogged down. turns out the conveyor is'nt turning anymore. got out to take a look, could'nt find anything wrong, and was able to get it to work again. half hour later, same thing.

i go to my buddies repair shop and start checking things out. after about an hour, it turns out , the pillow block bearing (directly above the spinner) is seized. (it was a relief, i thought the transmission blew up).

after greasing the bearing, and turning the shaft by hand (numerous times), i got it free'ed up. it seems that the bearing was jammed with salt.

my torwell manual says grease every 50 hours. i grease this machine after every wash (event), probably 2-3 hours actual spreader time.

just goes to show you, you cant grease enough!
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

It could be possible that you are overstuffing the bearing that it broke the seal and allows the grease to leak out, letting the salt get in. I don't know. I do not own a V box so I don't know exactly how it is setup but it is just my speculation. :confused:
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

That bearing cost me a new clutch on my Torwell. $250!!!:realmad: It catches all the junk (not sealed) and is real tough to get to. I replaced it once, the second time around I just let it fall apart and ran without it. That and those non-servicable bushings are part of the reason I went to my new truck!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, you got a really nice truck, Pelican!
  5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

with the oncoming storm, i went out today to go over the trucks/equipment.
    while greasing the v-box, i noticed i could see sunlight thru that same pillow block bearing i was having problems with. i took it out and it was wrecked.
    so i decided on changing it. my friend ,where i bought the new bearings tells me the salt gets into the bearing and grinds it apart, regardless of greasing. so i made up a rubber shield for the new one, lets see how long this one lasts.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

My new western ice breakers have 3 bearings for the conveyer and a gear box each. 1 for the bottom of the spinner shaft each.

All are pillow block and they don't have seals.

I keep a few grease guns in the warmer heated office, it's nice to pump warmer grease in them.
  7. Tillerman1664

Tillerman1664 Junior Member

I also use marine grease on equipment that has a high contact to salt.
  8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Bearing Life Improvement

I was sent to a school for bearing life improvement by my real job boss. You can over grease bearings. When a bearing has salt in it, throw it away. Grease wont fix a bearing. Salt and water are very hard on bearings. Class was 36 hrs long lots of good information in it. What I got out of class for salt spreaders:
    This salt is hard on every bearing in unit. Grease as published by mfg if any other problems with bearing, replace. Maintenance is high on a salt spreading truck. That is why salting is so expensive.