1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grease for V-plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cv700, Nov 29, 2010.

1. cv700

cv700 Junior Member

Just finished installing new V-plow, how often should the hinge be greased and any suggestions on type/brand of grease?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I usually grease app. every third time I use it.I run Schaeffer with moly using a needle style injector.

3. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

I grease weekly, and only use a petroleum based grease. This is a must!!!! Not a lithium based (which is made from soap). I use travelers from TSC, its reasonably priced and i like the quality but any petro based will work.

4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Amsoil grease

5. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

I use the Lucas red n tacky grease, and I usually only grease it once a year.

6. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

Lucas Red and Tacky......when it squeaks....lol........

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Every week. I then smear the seepage on the center point to prevent rust and corrosion.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Man.......you guys.........I have v plows that have never been greased since new. MVP's that are 7-8 years old. It is a good idea, don't get me wrong, but it's surely not the big issue that some make it out to be.

9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I agree... We have Western MVP's and MVP Plus's, as well as a couple Fisher Extreme V's. Owned them all since new, never greased the hinge pins on any of 'em. :p

10. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

MARINE GREASE resists water real good and i grease it at the begining and end of the season

11. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

before and after the season for me... That reminds me....

12. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

Are we slacking???? Hahaha don't worry procrastination is a guilty pleasure

13. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

Greases

Texas Refining Corp (TRC #880)
    Mobile grease #28
    Aeroshell grease #22

14. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Marine grease.
    Don't know if it makes a difference. But it is made to be used in water applications and snow is water.
    Seems Like the right thing to do.
    I do it a couple times a season.

15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Any grease will repel water.Marine grease is designed for immersion in water,either sporadically or as a constant thing.You will be fine though-you're just paying more for an overkill.

16. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

cold is a consideration

the synthetic greases I mentioned have really good performance to -50F, TRC880 in particular is very hard to clean out of bearings, very tenacious stuff, takes a bit of solvent & scrubbing to get it all cleaned off, The Aeroshell grease#22 is a aviation wheel bearing grease, stays put in rain& snow right next to that hot brake disc
    Mobile #28 grease is every bit as good as the Sell product.

17. dux5977

dux5977 Junior Member

I just looked mine over ...

why isnt there any zerks to be greased? Hey wait i have a grease gun for the nose wheel on my chain saw that'll work good huh?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  18. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I use a needle valve.