1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Grease fittings in staight front axle? (bearings)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by uglytruk, Jun 20, 2005.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Has anyone ever drilled and tapped the front axle to be able to put a grease gun to the "hidden" bearings? I'm not wild about my grease/seal situation. Of course while the bearings are out. :sleeping:

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What year chevy? you mean the sealed units on the IFS? Or an older SFA? You really dont want to over grease the bearings on a SFA. Warn premium hubs seal pretty well if thats what you are after???

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

On a solid axle it should not be an issue, unless you run submerged all the time. To me they are kind of like throwout bearings in clutches, replace them when you service the front end for brake overhauls or something. They should not need periodical greasing.

4. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

'83 SFA, just not happy with the seals I put back together. I'm too cheap to buy new parts. Just an old habit from when I didn't have the means. I shot of grease would make me feel,,,,, purplebou :yow!: :bluebounc so happy!

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Seals are cheap, always buy new seals. IMO it would be more work and effort to drill, tap and install grease fittings then spend $10 on seals.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

if the bearings are greased properly when installed and you follow maintenance schedules there's no problems unless, as Flipper said, you run submerged.

Now, this is assumeing you mean the outer bearings that are not running in axle oil all the time... in which case even contemplating greasing them is a no-no never mind thinking about drilling the houseing for it.