1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mpgall26, Oct 29, 2011.

1. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I looked around here and have asked around about plowing gravel. I have never had my fisher 8HD on gravel and I'm not sure if there is anything special I should do. It just seems intuitve that 750# in above freezing temps in float would result in a pile of mud and gravel, do I raise it up out of float? I refused a person looking for service because I didn't want to make a mess being a rookie, but I'll have to learn at some point. Any advice? I don't want to make modifications.

Thanks

2. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

When it is frozen I just plow it like any other driveway or lot. There will still be some gravel that gets moved. When it's not frozen I don't plow it unless its really deep, then I bump the plow off float and raise it an inch or two off the ground. You'll have to drive slow and continually adjust the height or it will dig in. Sometimes backdragging works also.

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

you can do as was mentioned ,it work's well but if it give's you a big problem you can always put a split pipe on the cutting edge to save the gravel and grass.do a search there has been a lot of info on it and picture's of the different way's people have mounrted them .:salute:

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

You beat me to it, Wild Bill.

kevlars

5. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

ya, I did like the idea of sod pipe. Now I just have to find someone to cut one, should be able to find some fabricator.
    Thanks for the help, just didn't want to miss something obvious.