1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel-Schedule 40 pipe or solid Rod

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by whitelite, Oct 11, 2010.

1. whitelite

whitelite Member

Have been searching, but haven't found any thread where someone has welded a solid rod to the bottom of their plowing edge. Any experience would be very helpful. I'm thinking that schedule 40 pipe would wear out very fast. Pretty much all we do is gravel roads/ drives and have been having trouble with gouging and removing gravel. Most years the ground hasn't frozen hard enough, hasn't been that cold. (front range Colorado)

Was thinking about welding a 1 1/2 inch rod to the bottom of my plow. The weld shop says he's done it for some ranch owners around here and says they like it, but haven't been able to talk to anyone.

Comments?:)

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

You could also try a polyurethane edge. Would last allot longer then a pipe and you can still plow pavement with allot less wear. Poly wont dig into the ground like steel does.

Or you can get Polyurethane plow shoes lower them when plowing the gravel raise them you want to plow paved drives and scrape up hard pack.

3. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

It was steel pipe some use 1.5 inch but I use 2 inch works great some will tell you to just pick up your blade and leave a little snow untill you get your base built up but some home owners thinks your cheating them if you leave a little and if you do alot of gravel or sandy drives it makes the day go bye faster if your not digging up everyones grave or grass. If you use pipe make sure you get sch 80 it will last alot longer.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It won't? Why is that?

5. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Loose gravel yes I'm sure it will to a extent but not as bad as Steele. How is a pipe going to be better on loose gravel? That wont dig into the ground?

6. whitelite

whitelite Member

Thanks, sounds like good advise, (2 inches), also thanks for the advise on the schedule 80, Makes sense.

Lowell

7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

The 2"pipe skids across the top of gravel not like a 1/2 " piece of steel it works well in my opinion. If it is gravel that has just been put down and not compacted you will have to be care full because it could still dig in.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Regardless of the material, a normal shaped cutting edge will be forced downward and will dig into gravel. The moldboard is shaped this way to hold it down when plowing snow.

The pipe changes the geometry of the contact point, allowing it to float over soft material.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:confused::confused:attack angle is attack angle regatrdless of poly, steel or wood

it also increases the available surface area actting like a skid.

Your other chioce would be a set of removeable "skis" mounted in the skid foot positions.