1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gravel road plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by plower11, Feb 1, 2015.

1. plower11

plower11 Junior Member

hi looking for some ideas if im out of line a women called me and asked me if im interested in doing her lane quarter mile long gravel she calls when we have the biggest snow event of the year I told her I would look at it said prob 40 to fifty bucks there is 8 to ten on ground she wants to wait till storm is over to plow am I out of lines for this

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Already to cheap with a paved road. If its not frozen you'll be bulldozing it the whole way.

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Please use puncuation in future posts, it make it easier to read & understand exactly what your saying. Out of line...for what? I'm assuming you mean price. 8-10" on ground already? Yes I'd charge more then $40-50 & I would not wait till it any deeper if it's already that deep.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

40-$50 for 1/4 mile. 10 inches. I would do that twice for a storm that size and probably charge more along the lines of $100+ per push

5. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Maybe where you are that is good money not here why would you not tell here it is by the hour vs per job she waits until a pile of snow and now looks for some one to give a fixed price, tell her your hourly rate and bill accordingly.

6. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Tell her it's $50/push but you do it @ 6" and every 6" after that.
    I'd rather do a nice long drive rather than a parking lot full of back and forth a few dozen times.
    You may have to drop the shoes a few washers rather than though gravel off the sides but it depends on if it's got ruts and how deep they are.

7. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Dude.... did you really have to ?:cry:

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^:rolleyes:
    But he did.
    Plowing by the hr is a time suck.
    There is no inventive to be productive.
    Sure, you can stay there for hrs. and get all
    you can.
    You won't have any other customer because you were plowing this by the hr. thinking i have to milk this to make any $$. not good for you or the customer.

Most contractors bid a job at a set price to the customer and pay employes by the hr.

anyway.
    Plow it and get it over,

No more that a 3" trigger
    and it will be $XY every time you plow it.
    Also what can be even better is a seasonal price.

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I plow a 250 foot single track drive for a ho that I get $75 for up to 6". Anything beyond it goes up as 1 way in and I back out as there's no turn around. Wouldnt be so bad if the drive was paved, or it didn't go through wooded area with a sharp right turn half way through. 10 minutes orso start to finish. If it was commercial, I'd double the price. My commercial rate is $450 or so per hour, which no one seems to complain about. Everyone's market is different, and what you need to make per hour can work, if you document your time and know how long each job takes

10. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

You might want to check your own posts before slamming someone elses. Note the bold.

11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like a 1 timer calling around for pricing.....$100 and tell her she is last on the list!

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Even more important than getting pricing correct.....:dizzy:

13. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I wouldn't even show up to check it out for less than $100