1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel lots

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snowaway, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Hello everybody, I was wondering what standard practice was for gravel lots with lots of potholes. Do you raise the blade up on the shoes and leave an inch of snow. Or do you try to flatten it out on the first couple of pushes. It seems like everybody that calls Is ether on a cliff or has a drive that could rival the grand canyon.
  2. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

I am wondering the same thing myself. I have a commercial lot to do this winter that is all gravel. Any suggestions on this one ? I heard maybe back dragging the first time out is the way to go. Not sure if this is the way or not ?
  3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

amoung a few tricks is don't float the blade. I gringe every time my poor blade hits a good rut. If you have a Fisher or other trip edge style blade your better off.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Either use shoes or drop the blade and then raise it an inch. I don't use shoes so I just raise the blade an inch. Especially if the ground is not frozen.
  5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I do a 3/4 mi easment road for a friend I use SHOES......
  6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i just set my blade at about 1 inch off the ground. i usually dont have any problems then. just go slow and watch for any rocks in the snow.
  7. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Raise the blade about an inch. I'm not a fan of shoes but if you are then they will work for this also.

MAR4CARS Senior Member

I don't use shoes.Ill raise the plow about an inch and then sometimes adjust plow height as i go along if the lot isn't level.I also let the client know ahead of time that i'm not responsible for any gravel that gets moved or if the lot develops dips
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

If you are doing all gravel/dirt lots, I would get a rubber cutting edge.

But If you only have one, Do what the guys are saying with not plowing in float, and raising the blade about an 3/4 of an inch off the ground.
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

no shoes here, just tapped the up button once or twice till about 1" or so. Go SLOW in the beginning while its soft, once it hardens it plows like pavement and you can speed up. like mowing try to very the angle at which you plow it each time, this helps keep the whole lot level.
  11. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

So what would be the advantage of a rubber cutting edge on gravel. Sorry if this is a dumb question but i have never evan seen one around here. thanks for the replys.
  12. hydro_37

from iowa

It won't dig into the gravel and also scrapes instead of digging.
  13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya just pick the plow up an inch.
  14. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I've seen guys on here that use pipes slipped over the cutting edge for the first few storms. Anyone have a link to this? Im looking for some picks and feedback on how they were working.
  15. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

i usually dont plow gravel drives unless there is three inches or more. I usually tell the costumer the reason. I like them to drive up and down the make a good base and then u dont have to worry about picking up rocks or leaving the plow up an inch. They all understand as they had previous snow removal companys come in and after they leave it looks like the just graded the drive with half of it in the grass. If its been blowing and drifting with less then three inches i usually come out just to make sure they can get in and out easily if not i push em.
  16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

that doesnt sound like a bad idea i wonder if it really works i might try it and get some pix in a few days
  17. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I know somewhere on this site someone put pictures up and explained how they did it. You would only need it for the first few storms and then you would have a great base. Im not sure how to search for it. I did dig thru a bunch of pages with no luck finding pictures. My only concern would be making the road surface to slick and it turning into an ice skating rink. If you have any luck with it please let me know I am going to try it out myself if I can get a break in the weather.
  18. hydro_37

from iowa

Backdrag it to make it less icy on your way out. after you have plowed it forward.