1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OhioPlower, Dec 29, 2007.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

One of my accounts has a spot probably 40x60ft that is gravel. I knew it was there and raised the blade some but still pushed some gravel and now there is a gravel pile in the grass. Do you guys spread the gravel back at the end of the season and do you charge for it?

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Better off doing it a few times during a melt, that way it isnt too bad come spring. But usually dont charge for it. It is our mess, so we clean it. You can use Clapper's power broom. That thing works magic for gravel:nod:

3. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

dont push it too far in grass!! thats what I do if keep in lot it will fall in lot, not in the grass, you got to tell owner that snow will be keep in lot, it's has gravel in it.

4. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

i plow snow i don't rake gravel. if it's a big pile i may back drag it come spring. i would leave the gravel part until it is frozen then plow it. do they use this part of the lot everyday.

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Heres what you can do if it every stays cold !!!!

- Back drag the lot twice, and as long as its cold the lot will frezz, and then you can push it.

We got some drive ways, that we have to back drag the whole thing because, if not you dig in and its a mess

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Yeah I went and cleaned it up today. Only took an hour. Its not like its snowing around here in NE Ohio, had nothing beeter to do. Ill just raise the blade like 4 in. next time.

7. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

1/2 to 1 inch wont hurt, if it's real flat 1/2 inch raise blade will do a good job

8. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

no the gravel spot is about 2 in. above the concrete.

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We dont plow, stone lots have a 3-4" trigger