1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel Lot ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Nov 16, 2011.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

I was asked to bid a gravel parking lot. This customer had a few concerns from previous contractors and I thought Id pick your brain. As mentioned before the lot is all gravel with plenty of areas to move snow. Common sense here would say to raise the plow a bit until the ground freezes and leave a small amount of snow to help prevent piles of stone come spring time. The customer is concerned because of the icy conditions resulting from leaving a small amount of snow having this happen with previous contractors. My thought is to plow down to the gravel, worry about the piles of gravel in the spring and salt as needed. The problem is drainage, she stated the water tends to sit and not run off. Im meeting with her Friday, anyone have any suggestions. Thanks
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't salt it! Your gonna want to use sand, if you use salt you will have a muddy mess. Also the piles of gravel aren't a big deal, we just use a paddle broom on a stihl kombi come spring time. Works like a charm!
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Listen to Bossman. You don't want to salt it.
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Recommend they pave it.
  5. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Ditto on the don't salt. Use sand for sure. There's no way to keep a gravel lot perfectly clean down to gravel. You need to have a base. If not, it will be a nightmare. I normally do a fair amount of back dragging early in the winter to get a nice base going. From there on out its cake until it thaws.
    Make sure you add the labor, for gravel clean up in the spring, to your bid amount if you don't normally do a spring clean up for them.
  6. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for all the comments. Sand it is!
  7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Now sand is cheap, but charge enough to make some money. When I started doing sand I didnt charge enough. After a couple years I bumped my rates up and now charge almost the same for sand as we do salt. We only do a little sand, but it is a pain and people will pay for it.