1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel lot/drive

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vector6, Oct 21, 2003.

1. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

We have resurfaced our lot/drive this summer.

we are an electrical contractor and we have our lot plowed by an outside contractor.
    $75.00 every 3" of snow, no walk cleaning, minimal salt spreading.
    (although myself and another employee BOTH have plows on our trucks, and WE wind up doing the walk's .another story all together)

last winter the plow guy managed to scrape most all the gravel off the lot (we had alot of snow) hence the cost this summer to re-surface.

he wont use feet on his plow because the front of our bld. is blacktop, and he doesnt want to take time to put on the feet for the rear (gravel). so we wind up with piles of gravel at the end of every push..

any ideas on how to approach this ?
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Just my 2 cents. It's your money. Tell him to put them on or hit the road!
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

1 - Dump him and plow it yourself.

2 - Dump him and hire someone else

3 - Show him how to plow it properly,and have him restore the lot or cover any damages in the spring.

You don't need shoes to plow gravel without peeling it up.It can be hard until the ground freezes,or if you get a mild winter.Manually raise the blade,and adjust it as your plowing.It's almost like driving a dozer,you just have to keep a close eye on what the blade is doing.I have a few similar lots (paved front,gravel rear),and have no problems and never use shoes.

from SE PA

he seems to lazy to use shoes or learn to plow properly, but i will bet he gets his boots wet to pick up his money. hold some money back in escrow for repairs.
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, what I don't understand is that you have a truck and plow, so why can't you plow your own? It would save you money that way with much less headache. You can do everything your own way, not the way other plower thinks.

I never use shoes when plowing. When I am plowing unfrozen gravel driveways (usually happen at beginning of season), I just raise the plow a bit above the ground. It still would pick up some gravel but not a mountain of them.
  6. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

The owner wants to use a "commercial Plower" for liability reasons..
    Thats why we (the employees with plows) cant plow it.
    He doesnt want to have to pay us for plowing
    or help repair our plow's if we plow for free.. :nono:
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Suggest to your contractor that a urethane blade edge might be worthwhile. They don't "road-grader" into gravel nearly what a steel edge does. If you can't do it yourself, give him a usable solution. Then resort to holding back for repairs.:rolleyes:
  8. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

we bend over backwards to provide an individual customer with the product they want.
    send the guy on his way and find a professional to do the job