1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gravel driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bastalker, Mar 14, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker Junior Member
    from Ct.

how do you guys approach plowing gravel driveways and lots? I just started this year and have put a couple of pebbles here an there in the yard. I dont drop the blade all the way down, but just seems to me that it isn't takin enough snow away. Need the pro's advice...Thanx

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Usually when plowing gravel it will want to come up with the snow,until it gets hardpacked and frozen.Usually lifting the blade a bit,will help the blade from peeling up all the gravel.

If your not getting enough of the snow up,try dropping the blade down a bit more,or all the way.Do you have shoes on the plow ? Maybe they are set down too low ? Sounds like it may be really hardpacked,and frozen.You can only do so much when it gets like that.

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

do a search, there's a ton of info on this.

4. farmertim

farmertim Member

Expert at your service!!!

I have 130 gravel drives and lots so....

I have stated in my contract that he first 4/5 inches are to be packed down as a base to save my equipment and save them from a summer of moving gravel.
    I run my plow with modified shoes. I run the meyer shoe even though I have a western, it runs the blade about a 1/2" above a level surface like a shop floor per say.
    This is as good as you can do without the clients complaining leaving to much snow.
    It will still take gravel and rocks out of the drives but you have to charge accordingly, on how ruff it really is.
    If you get a big first snow and have to plow on mud, oh well but explain it in the contract what will happen under those circumstances.
    I also say in the contract that I will not plow after breakup(when the frost is out in the spring) unless it is a major storm.
    In your area I can imagine that most snow will melt between storms in that case raise the blade with the shoes as much as you can without causing complaints, and charge more for those that don't have gravel as a base.
    They will have to spend it somewhere, either they build a drive or pay you to try and push snow on it.
    Good luck:waving:

5. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Put a u edge on it.

6. myo

myo Senior Member

You can also try to back blade. Drive forward and drop the blade and backup. This will save most of the gravel. Hope it helps.

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That is how I did last night for some of gravel driveways. It is the first time since last November that the ground is unfrozen so it was a bit more work plowing last night. What I did is raising the plow just enough that it won't dig too much gravel and plow forward. Then I would drop the plow and backdrag the driveway so that way I could clear some bit more of snow.

8. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

That's what I used to do with pleasing results. Now that I put a U edge on I no longer need to do that.

-Tim

9. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i have one drive that is gravel (about 150' long).

i back-drag the whole length. it moves a little gravel, but not too bad.

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That is exactly what I am going to do. I am going to get a new Fisher plow for my Chevy 2500HD this summer and will be putting urethane edge on it. I have heard so many good things about it. It seems to be very beneficially to use it.

11. farmertim

farmertim Member

Oh duh!

The u-edge is your best bet for gravel.
    I plan to up date next year to one...:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Good thing this site exsists or us gravel experts would be in a world of hurt.

12. neilc

neilc Junior Member

alright guys, I swear i'm gettin out this year but , how does the u edge benefit on gravel? what have I been missing? yeah I know, now I'll do a search
    ps
    any one want to buy a res route in fairfield ct?

13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Being that the u edge is 1.5" thick it will ride over the gravel rather than trying to dig into it. And while its resistance to abraision is higher than steel, its resisitance to being pushed forward over an obstacle is lower than steel.
    Dino