1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel Driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

How do you old timers do those gravel drives with a plow??
    Its a tricky one when its not frozen underneath
    Letes here your tips:nod: :drinkup:
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ues your shoes, skids, runners..etc..etc, (for the plow)lol:waving: now back to my rocking chair...
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you can try back dragging most of it with the plow angled hard over. You can use shoes too if you have them. It's going to dig in anytime you push it forward with the hump in the middle of most gravel drives and uneven grades.
  4. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

i let them pack down a base and let that freeze, then i just plow them as a regular driveway,, i never use shoes , some of my accounts are blacktop some gravel so id need a helper if iwere to do that off and on thingy with the shoes, keep it simple:cool:
  5. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

but that only works when it will freeze---what about this year??:realmad:
  6. The Snow Pros

The Snow Pros Junior Member
    from midwest

This year ...... There is no snow !!!:::::cry:
  7. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I had a farm with 2 miles of road ... drop the plow..take a little pressure off by raising it slightly ( keeping the plow still in contact with the ground ).. and goooo.... yes it will add stress to the chain ,, and if you goto fast it will hop.. not enough pressure off the plow and you dig in .. also your plow attack angle has a lot to do with it .. I have plowed gravel for over 25 years .. I learned on gravel .. sometimes there is no substitute for experience .. So go nice and easy .. sometimes what worked before doesn't work this time .. just be willing to try a new way .. and when in doubt.. FIRE UP The Cat 966!!
  8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Put the stones up on the lawn then charge them to clean them up in the spring. If you get lucky you may even get paid to haul stone back in.
  9. Daner

I have the shoes on this new western V plow...it still looks like the cutting edge is right on the ground...I s there a way to change the attack angle of the blade
    Not too new at this just ran the old stuff for years
    Put it this way when i drop dee blade the edge comes right on the ground ...and all the washers are in for the shoes
    I'm doin the snow dancepurplebou geeety up
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've had best results doing a pea stone drive by back dragging it. You can drop the plow and then bump it up some so it isn't quite touching the ground, but that doesn't really work unless the drive is completely flat, which they never are. Shoes don't really lift the plow blade enough either on the pea stone. Gravel they help a bit more. I remember reading last year about someone that too a piece of PVC pipe, and cut it along its length. They then opened up the pipe and put that on the bottom of their cutting edge. Said that prevented the blade from digging in. Sounds like a good way to go, although the pvc would wear awfully fast, and if you had to take it on and off alot, that could get time consuming.
  11. danno

danno Senior Member

If the PVC didn`t crack from the cold, it would surely crack from the stone.
    Probably better off using metal if your going that route.
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like I said, back drag it with the plow angled hard over. If it's not real long it will work. If you push it you will be bumping the plow up all the time and digging even if you do bump it.Stressing the truck and plow in the process.
    I used to do a 1/4 mile long drive at a relatives house,this was the only way to do it fast was back drag. I cut the time in half by doing it this way,vers pushing it. Two backward passes it was done, with no plow trips or push stalls.Fifty dollars and the truck and plow didn't break a sweat!
  13. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

even though we dont have much snow this winter, its still cold here in Minn, the base is still froze, you guys are dealing with a whole diffeerent cat, more like a spring snow sounds like, id just pick it up and go with it , if its that warm there it will melt soon anyway, any left will pack down for a base, no thatnks on the back dragging for a 1/4mile,besides its too hard on my turn cyclinders pulling on them like that, if its still that warm there its gonna melt by noon anyways,:cool:
  14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If the wall thickness was enough, it might not break. But, yeah, I'd agree that metal would be better, but harder to get on the plow.
  15. Daner

Thanks for all your comments

I shure hope that we get that storm this week end...Or all we will all have is Gravel to plow LOL
  16. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

We use our plow shoes for gravel or you can also back drag but you will still push some gravel just not as much..even if you do keep piling in the same place close to the drive so you can grade it back with your plow at the end of the season .we have been doing this for years and seems to work out just fine but if there is excessive gravel then you grade it with a bobcat .We have an agreement with our contracts that we will try to minimize the gravel removed during plowing but CANNOT GUARANTEE that it wont happen ...
  17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i also back drap a gravel drive i do. they drive up and down it alot to pack the rest of the snow down.
  18. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I have 3 mounting holes for my plow so I ajust the angle when the ground is soft.
    I also lift the blade up just a bit.
  19. Daner

Nice truck Daninline

Looks loke your hooking hard off the line therepurplebou ...I like your comment...now i have to take a look at this new western that i have and see if i can change the atack angle of the blade
    Also i beleive if you have more weight in the back it will make the cutting less agressive...What do you think??:cool:
  20. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I have never had good luck with shoes on. I hate running them and will NOT. I have been plowing for 12 years and have found on soft soil to back drag. If you can't just drop the plow and then play with the trigger, go slow. BTW it's hard to have the plow angled if your not trying to dig up the driveway.

Now I want to get plowing:realmad: