1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gravel driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HereToLearn, Dec 13, 2004.

1. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

I was out tonight for the first time on my own. Believe it or not I have never had to deal with a gravel or partial gravel driveway. Tonight I had a gravel driveway, and then a driveway on a dirt road. How do you guys handle these accounts? Can you push right over the gravel with the blade all the way down? Should I raise it a bit? Thanks

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You can put the shoes on the blade or raise the blade like you said. How did you make out with that Dr. Office.

3. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Shoes are on

Haven't heard back yet, but I dropped the bid today, so I'll give it a day or two then give a follow up call.

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

once the ground is frozen you can treat it just like blacktop. till then eather plow with shoes, or lift blade a bit, (this takes a lot of practice on an uneven road/drive) or you can back blade it then runover it to compact the snow till it freezes.

5. DJ Contracting

Well I wouldn't drop your price but you should follow up with a call, I put four more bids in lost two and going to call tomorrow I,m just to busy to drop my amount I figure if I can pick up one or two than i can drop one I really don't want. Oh adjust your shoe's so that your blade is about 1" off the ground.

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I back drag the first couple of times this way ill get a frozen base down, then like Dwan said Ill treat it just like black top at that point...Rob

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  7. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

How do you handle brick or brick like driveways where the bricks are somewhat raised or rounded and very expensive?

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I do not do them. Simple as it gets.

9. Boutallnite

Not the answer I was looking for, but a good one. I have a few on my sub route, so I have no choice.

10. DJ Contracting

I thought that you could get a hard plastic or rubber scraper for plows, but if only a couple on your route the maybe a snow blower?

11. Boutallnite

A snowblower would take me an hour or more to do each of these drives.

12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Hier a sub with a rubber edge or someone else set up to do it and add 10% to there bill.

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i lift my plow up one inch or whatever and i tell them there might some gravel moved around they usally dont care and i charge a little more

14. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

My advice to you since your very new to plowing is do not take on paver driveways. Pavers are those brick like things. I put in these driveways all the time. Unless you have one of those polomer cutting edges STAY AWAY! My cost for laying some of these driveways is as much as 4$ PER PAVER! That is just for the paver itself. Not to mention having to repack the stone dust base layers. Sometimes depending on how bad it is you gotta repack the A2 layer and including the dust. Imagine if you catch one and it pops out and pulls a but load of its buddies out....which ive seen happen. OR even worse if you scratch the **** out of the pavers and have to replace them.

EPHenry is not cheap to replace!

Don't do these accounts unless you have insurance for plowing.

Trust me you will be very sorry if you screw them pavers up. Every winter i get called by insurance companies to do estimates when guys have screwed em up. If you end up with out a choice, like someones got a gun to your head saying that you gotta do it. THen do this.

Take pictures of each the whole driveway, SAVE THEM. If you do happen to mess things up you need to be able to show that some of the bricks were not even and so its not your fault. Or they were in bad shape to begin with. Of course if the dam things were brand smankin new then burn them pictures.

Just to give you an idea of what kind of money were talking about here a 100X8 foot straight drive to do in pavers i get close to 20K.

Gravel isn't bad though. Put your shoes down, hope you got big ones, and keep a close eye on where the plow is. If she starts to bite in use the brake pedal fast. Try to back drag if you made a hole. The worst thing you could do is annoy someone and have to freeze your but off with a rake when things thaw out.

Dirt. Same thing with gravel. Only if you screw it up people rarley care.

IMO.....

Good luck, hope things work out for ya.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

This is exactly what I was saying in a post earlier today. It could end up being the costliest season in your entire career. Theere is another post around here that taps on that.

16. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

thanks for the tips guys. i will be able to handle the gravel by adjusting the shoes. thankfully i haven't ran into any pavers. after reading this thread, i think i'll pass

17. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

thanks for the tips guys. i will be able to handle the gravel by adjusting the shoes. thankfully i haven't ran into any pavers. after reading this thread, i think i'll pass.

DJ, the Dr office called back and they are ok with $40 to shovel and plow. i was in and out in 20 minutes. to me, that's good money (10 minute drive time each way)

18. DJ Contracting

That's Cool!!! :salute: I just got turned down for one that I bid on and waiting for another I told my wife that i wasn't going to drop my prices because I'm so booked now,as it is I thought about getting a sub, It's hard to keep up with my three trucks.

19. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

DJ, where in MI are you?

If you're booked, then bid everything high....might as well. You don't get it, oh well. I just gave another bid for a hotel where I also take care of their lawn maintenance. I bid high because it is owned by a foreign couple who haggle and argue about EVERYTHING. So if I start really high, then I can let them talk me down a tad and they will feel better about it. Sad but true. They want something for nothing. If I dont' get it, its ok, it's probably not worth the hassle.

20. WELDER

WELDER Member

i hate those driveways with the small pepple size stone.they stick to the snow and look like cr*p. when your done.